• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

just brought harnesses

animal ry

Warren Veteran
we just got our rabbits some rabbit harnesses and the younger ones love it but my older rabbit bit it and the other wouldent let us put it on her

should we just stick to younger is better using the harness or should we try little and often to see if the older ones get used to it???

Personally I wouldn't use them at all, I'd be too worried about my buns hurting themselves - which is likely the way they run like mad when they're in the garden!

I wouldnt use them at all to be honest... I saw a cat in a harness at the local pets and people show and that was bad enough... Rabbits really aernt made for harnesses...
Do you have to put one on? Do you have enclosed runs for them instead?

Well I did use one before but even though Boris is a good boy and allows me to put it on,he isn't really comfortable with it at all and I'm always afraid he'll hurt himself when trying to get away from it. Which is why I'm now getting him an outdoor cage.

i do but i saw a rabbit i sold to this woman and she invited us round and she has a small garden but he had free run and he looked all happy and i felt mine should get that but our garden well cant rilly have that so i thought a harness the guinea pig harness it deadly i hate iT!!! it strangels them but

the young bunnys seem to like the harness

Its up to you if you use one or not but please do not leave them tied up on it alone. It must only be used with you holding it .

there okay until the bunny bolts, then it so so dangerous. i know someone who was exercising he rbunny and a helliopter came near and the bunny ran, naturall, got caught up in the harness and died.

thing is, you cant KNOW if such a thing is going to happen or scare them, it just isnt worth it. use a big run instead, it smuch more fun for them and safer.

Dont harness your guinea pigs Ry either... That just isnt right in the slightest... :(

If you have a run for the buns then let them have free range in that...

but the runs are sooo small there ok for guinea pigs and dont worry im never using a harness on a guinea again has more chance of strangling them..

if i could find a big enough run for the rabbits i would buy it but there all sooo small now..

Surely a run offers more chance to actually 'run' than being on a harness though, where the bun can only hop as far as the length of the lead? How small are your runs exactly? Personally I would never use a harness.

but the runs are sooo small there ok for guinea pigs and dont worry im never using a harness on a guinea again has more chance of strangling them..

if i could find a big enough run for the rabbits i would buy it but there all sooo small now..

There are plenty of good sized runs to choose from,i have 2 that are 8ft by 4ft and 2 pws runs joined together which easily makes 12ft diameter.

I suppose it depends on if you have the room to use them but its not that there arent good sized runs available.

As for harnesses personally I wouldn't use one.

well there small there about 9 weeks and 8 weeks but they seem to enjoy it

i wonder if anywhere is selling a good run like our old one that was great

I would suggest buying a couple of metal runs like the ones sold in pets at home to let them have supervised play. Another point is you can only take one rabbit at a time so if paired they would have to be split, not very fun for them then.

I wouldn't use harnesses at all - I've heard a few horror stories, if the bunny binkies while wearing one it is possible they break their back. I would use runs and carriers to get them from a to b

When i was a lot younger, my bun Star had a harness, she hated it. Where they can feel it it must feel like a predators grip. She would eat it, attck it. After that one time, i refused to ever use it again, i then heard some horror stories, and was glad i made the decision not to.

Sorry but I am totally anti-harness.

I can't see any animal 'enjoying' wearing one to be honest. They might 'put up' with one, but that has to be as good as it gets. Cat's maybe, dogs yes, but bunnies and piggies are a no no in my books.

A run has to be by far the better idea.

hmmmm well if i can find a run because all the runs around here are not that good then i will use that :D

minnie likes it but disney was not to keen this time

i dont use the internet for buying things or banking or anything but i will look around as i wish i could give them free run but i have trees and 2 much of a garden to be abel to do that maby i could section a part of the garden off for a free run??? :?

i dont use the internet for buying things or banking or anything but i will look around as i wish i could give them free run but i have trees and 2 much of a garden to be abel to do that maby i could section a part of the garden off for a free run??? :?

We have our garden in sections and I can easy corner off sections for play time, luckaly we also have high 8ft walls around the garden too, you can use pen panels or something similar to surround the area. I would only let them roam free if you have high fences or walls and make sure they can't jump over and make a run for it. - you'll have to be with them throughout the whole thing too. - we spend about an hour or more each day and get them out for their play time.

Back