• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

"Floppy rabbit syndrome"

Hello,:wave: I Just thought Id post this Email I recieved when I asked on line about "floppy rabbit syndrome" as Iv had my bunnys lose their life to it, and only the other day my guinnea pig also whom i took to the vets and they gave him pain killers and said hed most likely had a scrap with my other guinnea...not convinced as when i got home he went the same way as the bunny did...

Symptoms-

*none or little movement in back legs/front legs or both
*head to the side or on the floor
*not eating & drinking
*breathing strangely

the email reply i got was this, I hope it may help others that are searching the internet for answers for their poor bunny:

Hi Leah,

There's no such thing as "floppy bunny syndrome". It's a broad statement used by uneducated rabbit breeders (and some ill advised vets) to describe a very sick rabbit.

If your bunny is still alive today, I would be rushing her to a good rabbit vet for sub cutaneous fluids to help with dehydration. Your bunny will be in pain so will require pain relief. The food syringed is definitely advisable but definitely NOT tomatoes (not sure who told that fib). The best things to syringe is water & baby pear or apple (needs to be every hour and at least a few mls of each). Another thing you can syringe feed is a product called "Critical Care" which is a powdered form of fibre specifically for herbivores (this can be purchased from a good rabbit vet).

Your rabbit needs to stay warm. This is critical to avoid shock. Once a rabbit becomes cold & goes into shock, there's usually not a good outcome. To keep a rabbit warm, either use a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel and place the bunny on top or beside the wrapped bottle. Another option is to place in bed with the electric blanket on low (not cover with blankets but surround with blankets).

There's no knowing what is causing your rabbits to become so ill. Becoming weak & sick, not able to move, eat, drink or go to the toilet is extremely serious for a rabbit. By the time a rabbit is that sick, they need emergency veterinary treatment to avoid going into shock. Once a rabbit has had fluids, pain relief and whatever else the vet prescribes to help recovery, then it's advised to look into why the rabbit has become so ill in the first place.

There are so many reasons why a rabbit could become so ill. It could be a medical condition that all the rabbits may have contracted from the breeders, it could be diet related causing gastro intestinal stasis, it could be a contracted bacterial illness. It could be a number of things and that's where the rabbit vet needs to assess what the problem is before it happens again.

Karen
www.boingonline.com

Is your rabbit still sick? maybe you could get a recommended vet if you are not happy with the one you use.

Actually there is such a thing....

Floppy rabbit syndrome is a term given to a set of symptoms, but it is usual the result of a vitamin deficiency.

I think its a lack of potassium.There was a post on here a while ago about it.I'm sure the lady said to get some tinned tomato's or banana into the bun

FRS is a name for a set of symptoms rather than an illness. Most commonly it's caused by Selenium deficiency (related to Vitamin E deficiency) but it can also be caused by a malabsorbtion of Potassium from the diet.

FRS is a name for a set of symptoms rather than an illness. Most commonly it's caused by Selenium deficiency (related to Vitamin E deficiency) but it can also be caused by a malabsorbtion of Potassium from the diet.

i have also read this too and so 1 source of potassium is tomatoes tho normally i wouldnt give to buns in this instance i would. as for it not being a real term it is it covers a broad band of symptoms tho and as others has said it is often helped by vitimin suppliments

There is such a thing as floppy rabbit syndrome or the technical term calcium deficiency , but what happening to your buns and guinea pigs doesn't sound like floppy rabbit syndrome , if the head is tilted it sounds to me like a parisite that can go to the brain and cause a stroke . my advise , burn all your hutches as they sound like they are holding the dangerous parasite , my friend bought some hutches and lost her rabbits in three weeks to these symptons , she burned them and she hasn't lost any rabbits since .

im freaked out now i hope mine dont get it!!!!! :shock:

i have heard the term floppy rabbit syndrom used before so i cant belive there is no such thing as it??

sorry about your animals that died :(

There is such a thing as floppy rabbit syndrome or the technical term calcium deficiency , but what happening to your buns and guinea pigs doesn't sound like floppy rabbit syndrome , if the head is tilted it sounds to me like a parisite that can go to the brain and cause a stroke . my advise , burn all your hutches as they sound like they are holding the dangerous parasite , my friend bought some hutches and lost her rabbits in three weeks to these symptons , she burned them and she hasn't lost any rabbits since .

i didnt read about head tilt if this is the case it could be ec...pannacur will work but do the full long course... this should relieve or at least help symptoms.... also i would ensure that all hutches rather than burn them...are bleached using jayes fluid.... then dried and allowed buns back in this will kill any lurking bacterias.

Hypocalcaemia is a different condition to FRS but is often confused with it due to similarities in the appearance of the rabbit. It's treated with Calcium Sandos.

PS: My bunnies also occasionally get cherry tomatoes as part of their normal diet.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your advice guys, maybe i should burn the hutches, I have got rid of the bunny hutches as i didnt need them any more, quite how it got into my guinnea pig cage im not sure, ive disinfected the guinnea pig cage and used boiling hot water to give it a thorough scrub with, I think i will invest in a new hutch but got to wait 2 weeks til pay day! aghh..hope nothing happens to my only guinnea left :-(

I thought id heard of floppy rabbit syndrome before and thats why I emailed the website to find out more, when she said it didnt exist i couldnt see what else my Bunny had died of, I wonder how this came about my neighbour has bunny and guinnea and they seem fine....

xx thanks again for all your posts!!:love:

I might invest in some of that spray, i have got vitamin drops that i got frm 'pets at home' spray seems easyer as you never can quite see how many drops are falling where! xx

Back