• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boy Bunny Neutering, What Actually Happens in the Op?

hollyd123

Warren Scout
Hi,

Domino is going to be neutered next week. I was just wondering what the vets actually do? When I worked as a Vet Nurse, we never had any rabbits in for neutering so never saw the procedure! When we neutered boy cats, the op was over in minutes and they had no stiches (the 'balls' :oops: were removed and the tubes tied off). Is this the same op for rabbits or do they have stiches? I should've asked when I booked him in.

How soon after can he go back with Darcy (neutered female bunny)?

I think I'm right in thinking the op is a much smaller procedure for boys than it was when I had Darcy done?

Sorry for all the questions, he is such a lovely bunny :love: , I just want to know exactly what will be happening to him when he goes in.

Many thanks,

Holly

P.S - He was vet checked on Monday, 'all present and correct' ready to be removed next week! :D

They tie off the tubes but the 'balls' are left behind, most vets use dissolvable sutures but some use glue instead. The sacks swell post op but begin to shrivel within a few days and eventually after several months they totally vanish.

Thanks Sooz for the really quick reply :D Sounds pretty straight forward, not looking forward to the shrivelling bits part though!! :oops:

There was some research into Burdizzo crushing (damaging the tubes but leaving testicles behind) but I haven't yet come across a vet that leaves the testicles in. The standard castration method in rabbits is still removing the entire testicle to prevent hormone production and release and to eliminate the risk of testicular tumours.
The techniques vary a little - I prefer to make two small incisions, one over each testicle, move the testicle through this, ligate the blood vessels and cord and then I can remove the testicle itself. Some vets prefer to make one incision further forward and push both testes through this (like dog castrates), others use an abdominal approach. Closing involves suturing the tissue under the skin in place and then using sutures within the skin layer (to prevent rabbits being able to get to, and chew, the sutures) and a layer of tissue glue.

Thanks for that, thats really helpful. :D

At my work, we do it the same technique as Marie described; one incision over each testicle
that sounds like how the cats were 'done' at the vets I worked at.

Any ideas on how soon the buns can go back together?

Back