• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Temperament change after spay

jane28

Alpha Buck
Has anyone been surprised at the temperament change in their buns after a spay or neuter...

My two seem to have lost their spunkyness after their spay... They have healed up well, eating as normal etc...
But they seem to have lost the wide eyed, youthfullness they had before... They are not ill by any means but they have calmed down...

Whilst i know it is in their best health interests, I kind of miss the bolshiness part of their personalities...:lol:

Yes Tofee lost this and i only see it in segments now, and am dreading that it'll happen to Ghostie, but it has to be done, for obvious reasons.

It took Arthur months to calm down after his neuter and in fact at first he was worse at first.

He has retained the best parts of his character though and just lost the manic, stressed, hormonal behaviour.

Dusty was quite territorial and aggressive before she was spayed - the spay just calmed that down, but didn't totally change her personality (she's still quite a nervous bunny).

Bungee still had all her personality after her spay except not as stroppy. She was very bright and animated. Always came to check out what I'd got for breakfast, she definitely couldn't be described as losing her spark. The thing I most dreaded was that she would stop chin rubbing - which she never did.

Artie still has all his personality as well. He is extremely lively and playful. I can't remember if he was cuddly before the op but his personality is just perfect. It would be interesting to know how different he would be if he hadn't been 'done'.

I think it is going to be interesting to see how their personalities settle... At the moment they are still coming to the door for food etc and seem in all respects normal... but i will see what happens over the next few weeks...
One thing i hope is gone is the excitable humping...:roll::lol:

could you explain to my neutered three that they are supposed to be quiet and docile now that they are spayed? Mine are ever so norty and definately think they are still baby bunnys despite the fact that they are all grown up bunnys now. I have rosie who rolls on her back and does 180 degree binkey turns on the spot. I have honey who think she's a cat and has a bit of a tom and jerry relationship with rosie and sooty thinks he's lewis hamilton.

I am always mobbed when there may be food.

nope definately no personality change with my lot.

Miffy hasn't growled or lunged at me since her spay last week. She allows me to cuddle her, doesn't bite my arm and I think she, in time, will become really quite friendly! :D

Carmen

with my girls ive always been relieved when their temprement changed :oops: i found a few mine became more laid back after a neuter and a spey, Binky and Misty stayed the same though :?

one rabbit i had neutered a few years back actually became extremely aggressive after his neuter he really was the rabbit from hell i was quite relieved when he found a new home :oops: (through a rescue though with a girly bun)

Just been in to see them

Well it seems spaying my girls has changed them from a couple of buns that were perfectly happy togethe rbut with the odd bit of humping to Smokey now picking quite aggressively diving to Bandit and chasing her off and Bandit now being scared of Smokey...

I got them spayed because it was the right thing to do now i have one bun that is scared of the other one...
Looks like now i am going to have to seperate them at some point... I will give them another week to see if it calms down but Bandit will not go near Smokey...

Be careful people some spays do not turn out for the best... And i am very upset at the moment...

How long has it been? It took about 3 months for the hormones to totally die down in my 2 girls that were spayed. I was very surprised at how gradual it was.

It hasnt been long Sarah at all they were spayed last week...

It is just that Bandit has been through the most (she had a hernia removed as well which we found out afterwards wasnt really necessary to be removed) and before they were fine together... Smokey was always the dominant one but there has never been any agressiveness from her but Bandit is getting a bit scared now... She wont come near Smokey and is very subdued...

I dont want it to go on for another few months though... I will keep an eye out over the next week but if it gets worse then i will need to seperate them...
Bless them they ahve been through a trauma lately!

make sure they've both got some space to get away from each other like a little hidey hole and take away anything that encourages chasing like a tunnel or treatballs. Give them two litter trays and two piles of food at feeding time so try to reduce any food agression. Make sure they've got lots of chew toys, toilet roles and so on. Finally it might be worth going for a rebond and moving them into a neutral space for a couple of days whilst you give your hutch a massive clean to try and neutralise it.

I wish i had a neutral space!

I will take away the tunnels tonight... I am getting them another water bottle tomorrow and will pop another bowl in as well...

Fingers crossed! (thanks):)

Bathroom is coverd in plaster dust and a whole wall has been stripped and waiting to go nevermind the new toilet being used as a toilet roll holder!

They "seem" to be getting on with it at the moment though... we will see

Back