• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nails?

Tila_15

New Kit
Hi, im new to owning bunnies, but i was wonding if you can get their nails trimmed? Sorry if there is already a post on this, im farely dumb. Haha

If you are not confident enough to do them yourself, the vet will always do them for you. You may even find that your vets has a nurse clinic where they will do them for free.

should i bring her somewhere to get it done? or try myself? Id be more comfortable bringing tila somewhere else.

when i had my hamster, the vet told me to use a nail filer or sand paper. could i also use that instead of clippers? I just dont want to hurt her.

when i had my hamster, the vet told me to use a nail filer or sand paper. could i also use that instead of clippers? I just dont want to hurt her.

To be honest I've never heard if you can use a filer or sand paper on buns - but their nails are a little thicker.

I never clipped my last buns nails, as she had a huge run attached to her hutch, she'd wear them down alot just by hopping on the patio slabs

I was wondering how you tell if the nail are getting to long:?I cut my dogs nails as being Jack Russell's they grow faster than most dogs & have noticed the buns nails have a quick (dogs turm for the vain)so I know to keep back from it.
As for stopping the bleeding if you do cut a dogs nail to short a bar of moist soap rubbed into the end of the nail stops the bleading straight away & wears off & was wondering if it might work on buns:roll: But if you have a dog it work wonders;)

Hi,
instead of the quikstop, you can use flour, it works the same way.
if you cut dogs nails, buns are exactly the same! :) i find them easier, because they are smaller.

I try to cut mine whenever i see that there is extra after the quick, because like dogs, the quick can grow with the nail, and you dont want to get stuck with REALLY long nails, as they will begin to curl and may go back through the foot/toe :( which as you could imagine would be very painful.

go slowly, start to add pressure to the nail where you want to cut it, but dont cut it all the way very fast, you bun will jump/resist if you are cutting too close, then just back the clippers up. :)

if you dont have any experience at all, or dont want to try, take her to the vet, and have the vet show you. :)

It's alot easier to do them yourself. i do my lots, and even my guineas with these massive dog clippers (bought for my dog originally)
The best way to do it is to flip bunny on the back and hold tight against your body, then clip them!! Also watch out for the main blood vein in their nail, if cut, it will hurt them and will bleed, but it isn't serious, it's just like cutting us really.
I've done it many times and felt so bad, i confessed to the vet who called me a silly div for worrying!!
It would also be a good idea for the vet to do them first, show you and then you can do them yourself :)

I was using clipper for 10 yr. But in the past 10 yr., I have fear of over cutting and cause blood. So what happened was, I didn't cut as more, and one of my bun snapped herself due to overgrown nails. In the end, no biggie, but it's a learning lesson, so I stopped using nail clipper.

Almost all vet hospitals using a rotary sanding tools, but I bought this one:

peticure.com

I bought the low power ver.

If you don't have one that fits the voltage sys. in your country, just buy a dremel rotary tool and set it to low rpm (5K rpm), I have use that too and it works very well. You just have to be a bit careful when using it

I never over cut since then

Back