• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter???

hardybaby

Warren Scout
hi was just curious whether it is better to let a doe have a litter then get her spayed or to just get her spayed? just wondering, i wont be mating any1!

It's quite a common thing for people to think, I think they are transferring human behaviour on to animals, thinking that it wouldn't be nice to neuter a human female if she wanted babies.

Given the relatively low intelligence of rabbits however, I really don't think they think about such things. The mothering instincts they have are genetic so that they know how to care for their babies. They don't have things like societal pressures to worry about, where women are taught from a young age about mothering etc :)

There is absolutely no benefit to allowing a bunny to have babies.

Besides there are far too many bunnies in the world already with accidental litters and backyard breeders trying to make a quick buck at the local pet shops.

Your bunny will not feel more motherly or content for having had babies, a neutered bunny is a happy bunny.

:D

I'm under the impression that most un-neutered animals would try to get themselves pregnant as its in their instincts, but it isn't rigth to breed every pet still as many of the offspring would most likely have to be put to sleep because there's just too many of them:cry:

Also there is NO health benefit to letting an animal give birth before neutering. (More like the opposite as if there's something wrong with the birth she could get internal bleeding or in the worst case die)

I had Zakura neutered as she was having phantom pregnancies all the time, yet I sometimes felt sorry for her doing all that work and never got any babies, but I had her neutered instead, now she can live a happy life caring for herself, not a bunch of kits. (She'd be far happier if she got a cage-mate for life I guess, just got to get one of these lads neutered first because they treat her like a sex-toy:roll:)
Aroma got pregnant once and she was meaner when she had her babies than otherwise (grumpy pregnant does I'm used to but does being grumpy while nursing was new to me, but I think it was more her lack of freedom that bothered her as she was in a different hutch than usual) when the babies left she was back to her old cuddly self again.
I dread to think about how Zakura the Killer Rabbit woul have been while pregnant:shock: Phantom pregnant Zakura was bad enough...or how her babies would be like:roll:

Getting them neutered means they'll loose most of those hormons which makes them want babies in the first place, and thus they don't have to go round looking for mates (or do like my Sasuke and mate with stuffed toys)

hehe mai made ur signiture too lol............ okey dokey just wondered thats all.. i know i dont agree with breeding just for the sake of it when thers loads needing a home....thanks for disproving the myth:)

:) yeah i thought the same thing tht something/anything can go wrong at pregnancy!!

so annoying tht people let thers mate just for the fun of it though, my frend was bragging to me today saying hers have been mating..theyre brother and sister and only babies. she just isnt educated at all i dont know what to say to her!!!

:) yeah i thought the same thing tht something/anything can go wrong at pregnancy!!

so annoying tht people let thers mate just for the fun of it though, my frend was bragging to me today saying hers have been mating..theyre brother and sister and only babies. she just isnt educated at all i dont know what to say to her!!!

breeding a brother and sister together is a recipe for disaster, as is breeding bunnies without knowing their genetic history - you can tell her that!

oh, and you should ask her if she's prepared for things like the possibility of mastitis in the doe, aswell as babies possibly getting stuck in the birth canal, that would kill mother and child and any that have already been born would not survive.... that should get her thinking. :roll: :wave:

but yeah, defo spay without litter, you'll be glad you did.

ill have a word with her when i see her.... people think you are being a spoil sport dont they!!!!!!!! does anny1 else find this that people just dont have a clue bout rabbits :(

alot unfortunately. :(

you'll need to tell you friend they need to be separated as soon as she has given birth because she can get pregnant straight away (really!)

she'll need to start saving for a separate hutch for the male and babies as well as the fees she'll has to pay at the vet for a check over and the first set of jabs. hopefully she'll change her tune about breeding then! ;)

ill have a word with her when i see her.... people think you are being a spoil sport dont they!!!!!!!! does anny1 else find this that people just dont have a clue bout rabbits :(

Welcome to the true world of rabbit keeping where people think your mad and eccentric for doing the right thing by a rabbit. They think a rabbit should be shoved in a small hutch in the garden and fed on lettuce :roll: Its something that you will get used to.

Back