• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Constant moulting?

Rabbers

Mama Doe
I have two outdoor rabbits and one seems to always be moulting. I've had them for almost two years, they are 6 years old this summer, but I swear there has never been a time when Rolo hasn't been moulting. It's pretty obvious with her as she is chocolate brown with a caramel undercoat. The chocolate also turns ginger at certain times of the year!!!!

Ozzie mainly only moults a couple of times a year really.

I've searched a bit on this forum about it, and mainly only come up with house bunnies that do this. Why does Rolo do this?!

Also I've just started to switch them over to SS from Oxbow (purely because it's cheaper and more accessible) and Rolo has become very glossy, but is still moulting lol!

Thanks xx

One of mine, Bessie, is an outdoor rabbit and she had an extra long and late moult this year too!
It lasted months, only just stopped in fact! I put it donw to the crazy weather we are having!
So long as her skin looks healthy underneath (ie no scruf or redness) don't worry about it :D

Mine too. Parsnip's been moulting constantly since May and he's still got a little 'skirt' round his bum. The shed's full of fluff!!!!!

Zakura moults pretty much all summer, often with extreme moults in spring.

As for changing colour, rabbits often get brighter in the summer becasue the sun bleaches their fur. My black rex turns golden brown and the sable looks a bit spotted now a days.

Back