• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you keep your buns cool??

Phoebesmummy9

Warren Veteran
Thought id see how you guys keep your buns cool??
Ive been putting parasols around the cage and run and making sure the water is nice and cool from the fridge
Does anybody know if its safe to crush ice cubes up and put them in the water bottles??

I freeze water bottles and they love to lay near them.I also have a marble flag in the run which they like to lay on.
I use crushed ice in their water bowls:D

The animals in my animal room have a fan on to keep the temp down and to circulate the air.
The outside ones have garden shading in front of their cages they can see out but it stops some of the sun getting in
When in the runs I always cover with material giving them some shade
Fay

i have a large fan pointing to onwe corner of the cage so they can choose to sit infront of it if they want to :)

i have tea towels hung over chairs in fron of the cage to shade them. Also another trick with this is to dampen the material you are using to shade them - then the air will cool as it blows towards them.

I have various things I do to keep my 2 cool. They are house rabbits and luckily the house stays cool with the fans on, but I also do the following:

I get a piece of kitchen roll tissue and run under cold water tap. Then squeeze out the excess water and gently wipe along their ears and over their face and then place at the back of their heads for a few seconds. They both love this. The hair on the back of their heads goes a bit punk rocker looking, but you can brush it back to normal later on.

I also have some of the fabric table dinner mats that i wet and place in my fridge for about 10 mins and then place in their pen and they love to lay on top of it. (You can use old tea towels for this too)

They have a concrete slab to lay on also as this stays cool.

Then the frozen water in a bottle, but i place this in a cotton pillowcase as they won't lay against it if it is uncovered and the cotton also stays cool especially if you spray it with a little water from a plant spray bottle on a mist setting.

I have a large tupperware box (a big flat square one from asda) half fill it with water and pop it in the freezer, when frozen they can either lay next to it, or can sit on top of it if really hot. I do this for my rats too.

My rabbits cage is right next to the air conditioner she loves it. She lays as close to it as she can. When she is out she also lays on top of the vent. I think i am going to try the crushed ice in the water bottle.

Back