• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Handy Hints for Bonding???

Marreline

Warren Scout
:wave:Thanks so much for advice about my rabbits and their neutering last week. Last time I was on here I was pretty desperate as Lady Dumpling was pretty poorly after her spay. But it's been a week now and she's back on form. As for Stew...he recovered very quickly and is as loopy as ever.

These two have been living separately (but in adjoining runs so they can smell each other and 'chat') for two months now and am so desperate to get them back together. They came from the same litter but Stew wouldn't leave Dumling alone which she found very distressing. So hopng they will bond well. They are very cute - seem to be in synch if this makes sense! Wash, preen, eat and sleep at the same time and appear to notice when the other is out of his/her run for a cuddle.

So on to my question (thought the background may help...!?)...

Any handy hints for bonding? I've done lots of homework and know the theory but you guys are bound to have some little gems that aren't mentioned in the manuals. Just want to make the whole process as pleasant for the buns as possible.

Thanks and sorry for the ultra long message xxx:roll:

Completely neutral territory, somewhere neither bun has been before and clean any litter trays etc with vinegar to neutralise any odours.

There will probably be chasing/fur pulling/humping whilst they decide who is going to be dominate bunny. Only seperate them if they start fighting or lock on to each other. I'd have a broom, and some gloves handy should you need to seperate them to avoid cuts or scratches to you.

Leave them in neutral territory for a few days or until they've settled down together and before putting them back where they're going to live, ensure the area is clean and free from either bunnies' smell. It's also a good idea to move the area round a bit if one of the buns used to live there so they don't recognise the area.

It is quite a daunting experience and easy to give in and take them apart if they're fighting but as long as it's not serious, no blood is drawn and neither of the buns are traumatised in anyway, perservere.

We've bonded one at a time up to a group of 6 over the past two years and it has been scary but it's lovely when you see them become friends and start to groom each other and lie together.

Good luck! :D

a few little tips is put mashed banana/pureed apple or other treat they like on each others top of head/ears...messy but they will start grooming for it. if they are nervous in car as most buns are then take them together in one carrier for a short car ride maybe 15mins. they wont fight and will settle in car as looking for comfort from one another. also you can try the smaller area theory the smaller area the less they have to fight over obviously dont be too cruel about this and ensure that its somewhere you can easily get into to break up fights. i use my hands to break up fights and get bittten but its the way i do it...you could ttry the squirt water to seperate them or the broom or turn on a noisy hoover they will stop due to noise...i have not used any of these but apparently it works well. the territory must repeat must be neuteral and you must be willing to persevere with fur pulling chasing nippping and humping for afew days until they settle try not to spereate them at night if a t all possible if you need to then you will need to put them so they can see and smell each other the whole time. hope htis helps you could give a donation to a rescue who frequently bond who will then bond for you?xx

Don't use litter trays at all in the bonding area, start small and work bigger and also I always start off with a good hour in a carrier together so they can spend sometime in contact without the room nor need to fight. It can help them to not view each other as a threat before they have the space to actually move about.

I also do 'time outs' in carriers if they get a bit too fiesty.

Back