• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating - Help

Nic Nou 26

Warren Scout
Please help, I have come home from work and gone out to feed and clean out buns and dora is totally off her food. She is sat in the back of the run. I have tried grass, hay, food and apple. She wont have any.

Normally when I fill their food bowl she comes bounding over and tucks straight in. She also normals stays by the front of the run.

Please help :cry:

Is she haunched? Does she seem in pain? Just worried this could be why. My buns are the same, they rush to their food when I put it in and bound over to say hello ..

I'd say if she is off her food and seems withdrawn then you need to get her to a vet ASAP. Rabbits go down hill so quickly with GI Stasis that it's got to be the best thing to do.

In the meantime, keep her warm and moving about a bit if possible.

Lots of vibes.

FC xx

Hi guys, I was on the phone to the vet when I posted and he said to bring her straight over. So sorry for not mailing back til now. I got myself into a right flap as Stu went like that.

Anyway, she has gas which has made her get hyperthermia. Her feet and ears were really cold (the other reason i was concerned) He has given her baytril and something else (cant remember the name) So she has had a pain killer and a antibiotic. He gave me some pro biotic which I managed to get down her with a syringe nice and easy.

Just in the car journey alone her ears have warmed right up. On the vets suggestion we have shut both of them in the hutch (we have a hutch combi) Which i have filled with hay. And have put a blanket over (I have left a bit of the door uncovered so they can get air. The vet thought that with Roger being in with her she will get warmer from him.

Any other suggestions? Gosh, I feel sick xx

you don't want your bun to fight the cold wind (if any) and at the same time, fight the bacteria in 2 front. So since it is usually cool at night, bring her in

sending my love!! lucy has just got over this and you seem to have got to it straight away and have been given all the right thngs..in a few days you will see a big improvement just keep on with everything you are doing and your bun wil be better ..fingers crossed for you! erm.... maybe take back to vets in a few days and they might give something to get bowels moving as she/he probs wont be pooing yet:?

Hi guys, I was on the phone to the vet when I posted and he said to bring her straight over. So sorry for not mailing back til now. I got myself into a right flap as Stu went like that.

Anyway, she has gas which has made her get hyperthermia. Her feet and ears were really cold (the other reason i was concerned) He has given her baytril and something else (cant remember the name) So she has had a pain killer and a antibiotic. He gave me some pro biotic which I managed to get down her with a syringe nice and easy.

Just in the car journey alone her ears have warmed right up. On the vets suggestion we have shut both of them in the hutch (we have a hutch combi) Which i have filled with hay. And have put a blanket over (I have left a bit of the door uncovered so they can get air. The vet thought that with Roger being in with her she will get warmer from him.

Any other suggestions? Gosh, I feel sick xx

Glad to hear you got her to the vet :) I hope she's better tomorrow, she's a sweetie x

I would say she needs to be indoors if she is already hypothermic :?
A heat pad of some sort would be useful and so would syringing her with some cooled but still warm boiled water. 20ml every 1-2 hours.

Poor Dora, I hope she feels better very soon

poor little hunny.. hope she feels better soon...

im surprised you wasnt told to syringe feed water/recovery formula tho :(

sending her loads of vibes xxxxxx

Well, I bought the bunnies in as when I went back to check on her, her ears had gone cold again. Put them in a giant cat basket and had them by the side of the bed.

The good news is that she has been drinking and then at 5 I woke up to find her eating. Yay! She also appears to be a bit more inquisitive.

She has been cuddled up to Roger most of the night.

Will keep you posted with her progress.

Well, I bought the bunnies in as when I went back to check on her, her ears had gone cold again. Put them in a giant cat basket and had them by the side of the bed.

The good news is that she has been drinking and then at 5 I woke up to find her eating. Yay! She also appears to be a bit more inquisitive.

She has been cuddled up to Roger most of the night.

Will keep you posted with her progress.

Glad to hear that she is showing some signs of recovery.

:)

So sorry to read about Dora and hoping she gets better soon. Its obviously a fright when this happens.

Back