• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

square feet

lisa82

Mama Doe
How many are recommended for each bun inclusive of the run area? Clearly the bigger the better, but are there actual guidelines? Thanks :D

The guideline are a 6'x2 hutch plus run (I think 6'x4' but possibly that's gone up) I would say about 40 square feet minimum for 1-2 medium bunnies.

There aren't any specific square feet guides. I think the RSPCA have changed their recommendations when I was making no pies I found this quote, but the link doesn't work now. "Their accommodation should have a sheltered sleeping area of at least 6ft x 2ft x 2ft with an attached 6ft x 3ft run to allow them to sit up straight and look around."

The above measurements give an area of 30 sq ft (I think). I don't personally think it matters if the ratio between hutch and run doesn't match, so long as the square footage is up to par.

So I guess as those guides are for 2 buns I would work on providing 15 sq ft per medium sized bun.

Having had a good look I found a pdf file from the Rspca stating: 180 cm(5.9 ft) X 90 (2.9) X 75 (2.4) high for two medium sized buns and none given for run size.

I saw someone quote something from the RSPCA the other day so maybe I'm not looking in the right place?

Thanks for looking Deelove :D (and Missy!) Mine now have 5ft x5 ft playhouse with attached run of 6ft x 3ft x 3ft high so they have a chair to sit on and under. So that fits within these suggestions, which is good :thumb:

I think local rescues and branches vary but my local RSPCA will only rehome to a minimum 50 square foot (combined run and hutch floor area) for two medium outdoor buns.

Back