• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sore hocks

lilminxlou

Mama Doe
hi can anyone show me a pic of what a sore hock looks like as i think myxi is on her way to having one, theres a tiny little bald patch on her hock and it looks pinky red but it doesnt seem to be causing her any discomfort. any ideas?

:wave: , that does indeed sound like a sore hock , sudacrem is really good and is what we used on our rex and nethie with sore hocks and it healed within a matter of days , to prevent it from happening it might be a good idea to make sure she's not on carpet or wood and make sure she is on nice soft bedding such as shavings and straw, also make sure she's not sitting in her wee as this can cause sore hocks to :)

Last edited:
ahh thanks the odd thing is that my other dutch hasnt got any such thing. this is awkward as she enjoys running round on the carpet and stuff should i put towels down for her?

also they have a litter tray in their hutch with litter (could this be part of the problem?) sawdust on top and loads of hay i think shes learning to be litter trained.

thanks im sooo worried

The litter could be a problem and is known to cause sore hocks , i would just stick to shavings and straw , our rabbits run around on the carpet but only for a short while as this can cause sore hocks and carpet burn , the towels sound like a good ide just to prevent it if you let your buns run around on the floor a lot , she could be sitting in her litter tray for long periods of time , one of the strange things rabbits do. I 'd just keep an eye on her hocks and go with the sudacrem and make sure she's not sitting in her wee. If your dutch seems fine then just keep an eye on her hocks , there's nothing to worry about with sore hocks you only need to worry if they start to bleed as this can lead to infection , oh and make sure there bottle isn't dripping or there not tipping there bowl of water over cause water can cause this as well if there wet for long periods of time , this happened with our rabbit.:)

thanks the bottle does drip but i never thought of that as a problem before, also ive noticed her sitting in the litter tray, i just never thought of it as a problem as theyve both been fine.

will empty the litter tray tonight and make sure i put towels down in her fave places to run around. thanks a lot twinks youve been really helpful x

Yep carboard can cause sore hocks to , its anything hard basically . Your welcome lilminxlou , i'm glad i could help :D , if you have any other problems your always welcome to pm me :)

feet

Our winnie has very sore feet pics on web page www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com He is on pain relief for life now for them. We have tried several creams but rf said try sudocrem and it is ok no great improvement yet, but they are too far gone. Its ok mustnt sting as his feet are cracked and bleed and he lets us put this on where as the others was a fight. Its cheap so I would def start this one first! If they do get a lot worse though I would see vet as once they are too damaged they cant fix them as Win found out bless!

thanks.

ive got a pic but to be honest it looks a bit more like a wart or something.

DSC_1142-1.jpg

DSC_1142.jpg

am i being paranoid over nothing? ive always thought its better to be safe than sorry and when it comes to the buns im so overprotective

its only one tiny little thing like a spot and i think some hair has grown lol does it look like sore hocks in my pics?

Hi:wave::)Rabbits often have a calloused area there which is often hidden by the fur. You only need to worry if it gets larger and looks inflammed. Are you able to give your rabbit some time on grass, as that's the most forgiving surface for bunsters with poorly hocks, though I don't think you need to worry about it at the moment. The most effective and soothing cream I have used is one prescribed by my vet. It's called Flammazine and is actually a cream used fin the treatment of human burns patients. I worked better than Sudocream on Flossy.Grassy ground is so much more forgiving on their feet and hocks. You also mentioned that you use sawdust in the litter area..is there anything else you can use instead as sawdust can cause respiritaory problems in some rabbits.

oh gosh i didnt know sawdust could cause problems :oops: :oops: :oops:

will deffo change it all to hay tomorrow i feel so c**p like its my fault :cry: yeah they often go out on grass especially when the weather has been nice however its rained non stop since yesterday :?

Don't worry too much. I think it's a fairly recent discovery about the sawdust. Some sort of chemical reaction happens between the phenols in the sawdust and the urine. Looks like I know what i'm talking about but I just know the "what" and not the "why":lol:!! There are loads of alternatives out there..Carefresh(VERY expensive but effective), many of us on here use Megazorb which comes in big sacks and costs between 5.50-£7.00 for about 80 litres. It can be bought online but of course you have to add on the postage. I'm happy to send you a jiffy bagful for you to try.

Ive been using Flamazine,you need to get your vet to write you a prescption,on Willows sore hock.Ive been applying the cream then bandaging his paw.It has worked wonders in just over a week

do you think i ought to apply cream now? or just keep a close eye on it? thanks capel ill try looking for some megazorb i think. the thing is i sprinkle the sawdust on top of the litter not sure what it is just an own brand i think, but i use sawdust in the hutch as well. what is best to use hay? straw? bedding?

i love the buns so much id do anything for them x

Hi. I don't have anything on the floor of my hutch apart from some vet bed. I've covered the floor with self adhesive vinyl floor tiles(dead cheap!) so that the surface is wipe clean. If the buns are trained and use littter trays it makes hutch cleaning a doddle.:lol: If yours aren't so great with the litter training then you could just put a layer of megazorb down and then cover it with soft straw and/or hay. If you Google megazorb hopefullyyou'll find a local supplier, but even if you have to pay for the postage it still works out fairly cheap. It's a horse bedding so is super absorbent.

ooh thanks for the ideas. gumpy is well litter trained apart from when he has an upset tum, myxi im not sure about tbh, theres her poos all over the floor but theres a few in the litter box as well

Back