• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dogs and rabbits. - March Hare???

Yes my two dogs are around my rabbits. There have never been any problems between them. One of my Rabbit Freddie loves the dogs and keeps following them around! Luckily the dogs arent bothered at all.

When I was at my parents our two grown dogs were fine with my two house rabbits and vice versa. They were a collie and a springer.
We have a new puppy now and one of the rabbits is not 100% with him still.

Do you have a dog crate for your dog? I would recommend putting him in it and allowing the rabbits to investigate him safely. :)

When I was at my parents our two grown dogs were fine with my two house rabbits and vice versa. They were a collie and a springer.
We have a new puppy now and one of the rabbits is not 100% with him still.

Do you have a dog crate for your dog? I would recommend putting him in it and allowing the rabbits to investigate him safely. :)

It's technically not our dog, well.. It's the family dog but Debbie sees her as 'hers'. So we aren't able to put her in a crate.

I put the rabbits in a pen a few times (which we don't have anymore), whilst the dog was in the room and the dog was all excited and wanted to see them.

It would just be nice to let the bunnies out (which we can't do in the lounge) without worrying about shutting the dog away which isn't fair on her and we get had a go at.

May I ask what dogs you have? We have a very excitable boxer.

I have two Cocker Spaniels who are also quite excitable. We first introduced them to the rabbits whilst they were in the run. They were quite excited for the first few minutes (running around the run) but soon settled down.

I have a free range house bunny with a GSD and a Field Spaniel and they all get on very well :love:

I think it is a natural instinct for all dogs to chase rabbits. Particulary working dogs. My two chase rabbits when they see them on a walk and i thought they would do the same to my rabbits but they have got used to them being in their run outside, and now they are fine with them running about the garden.

I think march hare has two beautiful boxers and they get on brilliantly with her rabbits, although I'm not sure which were there first. However, I don't think it's fair to put rabbits who have no experience of dogs at all in with a boxer who is highly excitable, unless the dog is extremely well trained and will not approach the bunnies. I would also always keep the dog on a lead around rabbits.

We have a labrador who I could not trust to go near my rabbits, but my yorkie has been brought up with him and I trust him with my own bunnies. I would not trust him with rabbits he didn't know, and would always make sure he was kept on a lead. I think you have to be very careful with any dog to be honest!

Hi,
we have a verry excitable Chocolate lab and an english bulldog.
The Lab, Bosco, chases rabbits outside the house (never catches them, just plays, like a game, when he catches up to them, he stops, and lets them run again)
we were VERY nervous to introduce him to the buns, fearing he would chase them, but in his own house, he didnt see them as something to chase, but more as part of the family. and they are now fine with one another. The Bulldog couldnt be bothered. he just likes to lay around and watch them.
We first introduced them by haveing the Buns in the cage (so they were comfortable in there surroundings, and the dogs couldnt get at them. and we let the dogs sniff around them. eventually we held the bun and let him snif them, and now we just let them go together. most of the time they dont even notice one another. Our dogs are older though, The lab is 12 and the bulldog is 9, so a younger dog may be more inclined to chase them... i would be carefull. and supervise them at all times.
good luck, hope they can get along.
(ps. heres tonka and mercades!)
i273043813_55399.jpg

Back