• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not himself after VHD vaccination

Letichia

Alpha Buck
Hello

Freddie had his VHD vaccination last night and today he seems to be a little quiet, he is currently fast asleep in his run outside and doesn't seem to be his normal self.
He still seems to be eating normally though.

Has anyone else experienced this after a VHD vaccination?

Yes, I don't think it's uncommon. My bunnies were unusually quiet for a day or two.

I think it depends on what type of vaccine but the commonly used on is Cylap, which some have various reactions to.

You might want to do a search for "Cylap" to see what it brings up.

My male Little Wig has had a bad reaction to Vhd jab- seems to go off his food for a day or two, although the vet seems to think there is no connection to the jab, hmmmmm, im not so sure! :? I think it does actually mention the loss of appetite in the contra indications.

Thanks, he just doesn't seem his usual self so i was a bit worried but hopefully he will be better tomorrow.

He was given the Cylap vaccination so i will do a search on it.

Poor Freddie, he is feeling really sorry for himself.
He wont even come out of his run to have a run round the garden:(.
I hope he feels better tomorrow.

I hope Freddie is back to normal soon. My buns haven't had the injection as I am so scared that it could harm them or i could loose them.

His probably having a sulk , all my rabbits do this behavior after i've took them to the vets for a check up . He should come round by tommorow . Good luck :)

All my rabbits are fine except Bluebell who is really quite for a day or so afterwards. He just dozes alot and seems really depressed but he's soon back to his normal self.

Snap , i worry myself to much sometimes , i was an emotional wreck when i got my bun nuetered and he didn't take it to well , your not alone :)

My male Little Wig has had a bad reaction to Vhd jab- seems to go off his food for a day or two, although the vet seems to think there is no connection to the jab, hmmmmm, im not so sure! :?
I think it does actually mention the loss of appetite in the contra indications
Can anyone else shed more light on this please (about loss of appetite) as being a contra indication following a Cylap VHD vaccination, it's something I really would appreciate you guys input on as we have had major problems with our Continental Giant rabbits loss of appetite since receiving his VHD vaccination over a month ago , there is no physical reason why this should be as all scans and xrays and blood work carried out on him are clear with no problems , also his teeth are fine. I know some rabbits have gone off their food for a day or so after being vaccinated with the VHD vaccine , as anyone elses rabbit gone beyond that time period please? and if so what brand of vaccine was used? Thanks so much everyone.

This is exactly what happened to Pickle. He had his vaccine and the day after he was extremely off. I was so worried about him I made a thread on here and called my vets. the silly beggar was bright as rain the next day!!!

Back