• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help - ill bunny - updated news

animal addict

Young Bun
hi all, my 3yr old dwarf lop ear rabit seems to have developed a swelling under his bottom lip - its like another lip in shape but swollen so theres no fur on it and I dont know whether its weeping or he's dribbling - he's still eating and let me touch it so its not particularly bothering him any ideas what it could be - I'm thinking an abcess of some sort maybe related to teeth problems ? he's never had tooth issues before or maybe he's caught himself scratching? I would have thought he'd have been in pain though? Just wondering what to expect really - he's booked into our vets but the earliest they could get us in is wednesday early afternoon as they arent classing it as an emergency as he's not in pain - any thoughts or advice please - he's never been to the vets before other than to have his nails clipped and he's fed on a typical pet store abbit mix - loads of hay and his diet gets supplemented with greens, occasional apple and carrot as a rare treat and he has chewy wooden toys to hand and isnt fed any commercial treats like those milk drop things or anything

Last edited:
oh and just checked and the swelling has gone down a lot and he doesnt seem to be dribbling now!!! still going to the vets but I just wondered if anyone could hazzard a guess as to what it is ?

hmmm i wonder if it could be something like a grass seed? Glad its going down:) Vet will have a good look and prolly give antibiotics. He/she may do x rays just incase though

good luk at the vetsxx

ah thanks guys, hopefully it will be something like that and not somethingrequiring surgery or anything - will post an update after vets visit tomorrow

sorry for posting this in the wrong section originally and thanks to mods for moving it :

not long come home from the vets - they dunno what the swelling was they can only put it down to the irritation but the problem is he has teeth spurs!!! Well spur I should say as its only 1 back tooth that is causing the problem - so he's booked back in for friday to be put under anaesthetic to have the spur filed - I hate it when my small animals go under anaesthetic but they have reassured me that the anaesthetic they use now is much better than what they used to use and is much safer so fingers crosed all will go well - he's also had a painkiller and antibiotic injection today too - poor lil bunny

I believe everything happens for a reason. Maybe the swelling was some sort of warning of the spurs and the vet to find it. better catching it early than having to wait til your bunny stops eating and that

Lisa and the buns xx

^^^ this is very true - it would be traumatic if he lost lots of weight and be too weak for the anaesthetic!! I just hope that its not going to be a recurring problem as spurs can be as the risks with anaesthesia will increase as he gets older but at least the vets will love me lol as its costing £135 for the dental treatment on friday alone but thats blood tests for kidney and liver function before he goes under as well but I dont care as long as he isnt in pain!! Fair play to him he was awfully good even when the vet stuck the equipment into his mouth to have a look and didnt flinch when he had his jab though I guess ithelps that the jab in the loose skin in his neck - I think he hated the car journey down more than anything!! Will post an update on friday when he comes back (fingers crossed)

Last edited:
thanks for all the fingers and paws crossed - its worked so far - Max is back home having successfully been through his anaesthetic and having his back teeth filed down - he's indoors tonight on the advice from the vet and currently in my bathroom with a child gate across the door lol as I cant put him downstairs due to the dog and the bathroom floor has lino so he can mess in there with no probs and its the only place I have with no wires/danger areas and he has a big box of bedding, hay, water and food - I have to get him to eat tonight and he's going back in for a check up tomorrow at 1pm - does any one know why it is so important for him to eat tonight? They have given him painkiller injections but warned it still maybe sore for him so thats going to affect him surely? but they really stressed he must eat so I have mixed a small amount of round lettuce and shaved carrot into his dried food and softened it with water to try and get him to eat - poor thing is still quiet but they said in the vets that he was ace - not a problem with handling or anything so I'm really proud of him :)

MORE BAD NEWS!!! Took Max for his check up today and they kept him back for about an hour (wouldnt let me go in with him) everything seemed fine first off but I mentined I didnt think he's wee'd so they went to check him again and found his bladder was full and were going to look into it further to see if they needed to do anything to help him we so they scanned him quickly - it wasnt his bladder they have found a mass!!! Not good news - they dont know what it is I have to go back on Monday for them to scan him properly as they had an emergency in and didnt have time today to see where it is and to be able to give us more info - cried my eyes out driving him home - they have told me that an op carries quite a high risk of his not coming through it also but I also dont want him to have surgery unneccessarily - I really wasnt expecting this

Poor Max and poor you :cry: Hopefully it is something that can be sorted - the vets seem to have acted fast on it so that's something. I'm sure someone else will be on with more knowledge/advice soon... *vibes coming your way*...

Back