• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent help required

carolh365

New Kit
First a quick intro my name is Carol I have been involved with rescue for many years, fostering dogs cats kittens.

Tonight I had a call to go and look at a pregnant cat, to my horror I discovered a rabbit with 3 babies, |I would guess about 5 days old, the mum did have 9 babies, 6 have not survived, I have been tipped off by a neighbour that they have been drowned as they no longer wanted them, but stopped as I was going round to see the cat.

To cut a long story short, I now have mum and babies with me which is where I need advice. I have never had rabbits ! mum was being fed hay and frozen veg !!

Mum has an eye infection which I will speak to the vet about tomorrow.

Any advice would be great as I feel way out of my comfort zone.

Welcome to the forum!

It's important not to change diet to rapidly as rabbits are quite sensitive. The main diet should be hay and I'd start feeding the same types of veg they were (but not frozen). Presuming they were feeding normal veg not frozen peas! Leafy greens tend to be best. You can also start to introduce a complete pellet, Burgess Excel or Supreme Science are best - avoid mixes as they tend to pick out only the bits they like. Just start with a pinch and build up gradually.

Mum only feeds babies once or twice a day and won't cuddle with them like a cat does. It might seem she ignores them as the often feed/visit at night. You can check they are eating by checking they are hydrated and have plump tummies.

Babies develop very quickly. They open eyes at 10 days and will be out nibbling mums food around 2.5 weeks. If you find a baby out of the nest before about 2 weeks it may have been knocked out so pop it back in. Rabbits can't carry their young.

Did you see dad? Rabbits can get pregnant straight after giving birth so if he was still in with mum she may have a second litter 4 weeks after the first!

Tam

First a quick intro my name is Carol I have been involved with rescue for many years, fostering dogs cats kittens.

Tonight I had a call to go and look at a pregnant cat, to my horror I discovered a rabbit with 3 babies, |I would guess about 5 days old, the mum did have 9 babies, 6 have not survived, I have been tipped off by a neighbour that they have been drowned as they no longer wanted them, but stopped as I was going round to see the cat.

To cut a long story short, I now have mum and babies with me which is where I need advice. I have never had rabbits ! mum was being fed hay and frozen veg !!

Mum has an eye infection which I will speak to the vet about tomorrow.

Any advice would be great as I feel way out of my comfort zone.

i hope everything is ok, someone will be more help soon. (edited cause of that)

hows mum with the babes?.
x

Last edited:
Awww! That sounds terrible about the baby buns.. glad it's in your capable hands x

Welcome to RU! - Sorry it's under these circumstances, but you'll find loadsa advice and help here x

Buns should always have a constant supply of hay - grass is okay on top provided it is fresh or hand picked. I wouldn't change the diet too suddenly especially when the bunnies are so young. Bunnies can become fertile at anything from 12 weeks. Always make sure they have plenty of water and are not too hot, especially at this time of year :)

Last edited:
Hi there, welcome and hope we can help.

Whereabouts are you? Maybe someone near to you with rabbits on the forum may be able to provide you with some hands on help.

Helen

Not sure on dad, they said 'they dont own another rabbit and dont know how she had got pregnant' !!!! Oh god I hope she is not preggie again, not sure my heart could cope !!

She is protective of the baies, but let me have a quick peak, I did not touch them just wanted to make sure they were ok. I gave her a stoke, she was not very comfortable with that, she hunched up, put her head right down and shut her eyes !

Not sure on dad, they said 'they dont own another rabbit and dont know how she had got pregnant' !!!! Oh god I hope she is not preggie again, not sure my heart could cope !!

She is protective of the baies, but let me have a quick peak, I did not touch them just wanted to make sure they were ok. I gave her a stoke, she was not very comfortable with that, she hunched up, put her head right down and shut her eyes !

The mother will get used to you putting in food and you may get to the stage where you can feed her bits of food from your hand, will take time though.

It's good she is protective, she seems to be looking after them and not leaving them :)

I gave her a stoke, she was not very comfortable with that, she hunched up, put her head right down and shut her eyes !

Chin on the floor, neck/head forward a bit? That's bunny for give me nose rubs now :lol: They like to be stroked from tip of nose upwards. Some rabbits will grind their teeth gently as you do it - a rabbit version of a purr :)

You could bath her eye with cooled boiled water with a pinch of salt if it's gunky.

I am nr Bicester in Oxfordshire.

Living in a mad house with 3 dogs, 2 foster kittens, 2 foster cats , 1 tortoise, 4 rabbits !!! and a 7 year old son :p

Back