• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help - Acorn & Hazel have been fighting

Stralachlan

Warren Scout
My two boys, Acorn & Hazel, are now 15 months old. They were litter mates and have been together the whole time. They were neutered last year.

Last week, some time during a weeks boarding, they've had a fight and Hazel now has some wounds behind his ear. :cry: He's been to the vets today, and put on Baytril & a hibiscrub cleaning regime. They want to see him again next week as they are concerned that one of the wounds is looking like an abcess. Sadly the person running the boarding didnt spot the wounds, I found them when I got them home.

I've got them separated this evening by splitting the double decker Happy Hutch into two levels to give Hazel chance to heal. I really didnt want this to happen as re-bonding them could be difficult. They can see each other through their runs, but wont be able to see each other during the day when I'm not in.

Should I try and keep them within sight of each other or will this not make much difference? Should I swap them from one part of hutch to other to keep each other's smell in both parts? Should I have them together for a bit in the evenings under supervision or leave it until Hazel is better?

Acorn is still chasing Hazel. Hazel seems to be doing all the right things like putting his head down low, but will also run away (probably scared of being bitten again). Would a water spray discourage Acorn (mind you in this heat he'd probably like it)?

hi!

I would be switching them from one hutchto another to avoid them thinking that they "own" a part of the house, as this will make re-bonding in the future difficult.
did you or whoever was boarding them see what was happening when the fight broke out? perhaps it was the stress of being somewhere knew that made them fight? they were probly stressed, scared, and may have been trying to decide who was "boss" of this new house.
good luck

I will switch them over each evening then. I may try and put them together tonight under supervision. Maybe Acorn will have decided he'd rather be with Hazel than alone after a day on his own. Acorn was really stroppy last night but then he did get his VHD jab (which Hazel couldnt have due to the antibiotics)

Hazel wasnt impressed with the baytril this morning.

I'm not sure when the wounds occured. It looks like he was bitten once about a week ago (which may have been the day they went into boarding) and a fresher bite maybe 2-3 days old according to the vets). The fighting wasnt spotted by the boarding place, neither were the wounds. The problem is they are alternating between grooming and chasing!

Back