• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Martha has a tumour

harpo

Warren Scout
:cry:Martha was booked in today to be spayed and to have her lump checked, i got a call from the vet to say they had taken some cells from the lump (which is on her lower left hand side) and there was no sign of pus or anything to suggest a cyst and she feels that in her opinion it is a tumour, I've rebooked her to be spayed in a couple of weeks and they will remove the tumour at the same time.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with their rabbit? We have no idea how old Martha is she was an unwanted rabbit who had several homes before we got her in january.

:cry:Martha was booked in today to be spayed and to have her lump checked, i got a call from the vet to say they had taken some cells from the lump (which is on her lower left hand side) and there was no sign of pus or anything to suggest a cyst and she feels that in her opinion it is a tumour, I've rebooked her to be spayed in a couple of weeks and they will remove the tumour at the same time.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with their rabbit? We have no idea how old Martha is she was an unwanted rabbit who had several homes before we got her in january.

:wave: aww poor Martha, at least shes getting the treatment she needs, good luck to you both, im sure there will be someone along who,s encountered this problem.:D

I haven't experienced one in my bunnies but I'm so sorry for you and Martha.I hope the vets can get it all out and it hasn't spread

Hiya,

Both my does had a uterine tumour when they went in to be spayed (both 5) sadly we lost one 3 weeks after removing the tumour as It had spread, the other survived after having the tumour removed and being spayed and its now been 5 months and she's doing really well (touch wood). So its hard to say really, as long as you catch it early before it spreads and you have a good bunny savy vet then she should be OK, the sooner the tumour is removed the better.
Thats if it even is uterine cancer, it could just be a cist.

Our Sally went in for her spay (she was 3+ when she was admitted to the rescue) and the vet had to remove a tumor the size of a golf ball. I hadn't handled her before that so don't know if it was obvious to the touch. Thing was that it wasn't contained within the uterus so the vet suspected that although he felt he had got everything, he couldn't be positive that it hadn't already spread.

She seems okay but does sound chesty - no mucus or nasal problems, really is just 'chesty'. She isn't the happiest girl in the world, but the vet doesn't think that is in her lungs presently. We could do a scan to see, but there really wouldn't be anywhere to go from there if her lungs are affected.

I think that there are probably many cases where the rabbit suffers no ill effects following a tumor removal, especially if it's contained entirely within the uterus.

I do hope the prognosis of your bunny is a good one if it does turn out to be cancer. It certainly isn't necessarily a terminal situation.

Helen

Back