• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newbie to giant rabbit life... Advice please

Hiya, I am a newbie to giant breeds of rabbits and I have 2 kits both 10 weeks, one is a french lop the other a conti, both girls, all and any advice on them would be great.... Thanks
This is them
Lottie
P260708_124002.jpg

Connie
P260708_1240.jpg

and this is logan a little lop (couldn't leave him out!)
P210708_091501.jpg

Awwww, what lovely bunnies! No advice I'm afraid - never had a giant breed. Only just seen one in real life a few weeks ago. :lol:

Oh they are yummy! I love the second ones ears! :love:

I have two giant french doe's, One in the house and one in the garden.

My only advice in addition to the normal care you would give for any rabbit is....

They will grow into big, strong buns! My doe in the garden (tinkerbell) can dig a tunnel in two seconds! I swear if I left her to it we would have a rabbit warren big enough for all the rabbits in the world to live in, It would take her maybe a day! :lol:

Also make sure that you get them extremely used to being handled. As they get bigger, with bigger nails and bigger teeth the more damage can be done!

oh ensure that their water bowl/bottles are both large ones so they get enough water but if wateer bowls buy a dog bowl as its heavy enough to stay there and not get flipped!

Yes they have dog bowls, well puppy ones! And my frenchie is very soft and loving but connie is extremley nervous of us and hates being picked up, we will have to work on that one!

You treat them no different than any other breed. I have buns that are big and small, there is no real difference, make sure they eat lots of hay

I have no advice...but can I jsut say...

aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh look at the ears on the second one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love them!!!!

:love: all 3 are just so:love:

i have two frencies..the buck is a lazy slob whos fave pastime is sleeping:lol: hes so friendly and affectionate but on his terms..hes a sweet old duffer.
the doe ive had from a baby..she was sweet n friendly even after spaying. when the bonding went poo upwards she changed but today out int he garden she was a bit of her old self..if your sitting on the floor or laying on it shell come up and sniff you and tickle you with ehr fur and whiskers till you laugh then cos you laughed shell do it a bit more..if oyure in a chair she gets up with you..you have no choice:shock::lol: or shell stand on her hind legs and make herself known. she doesnt like being stroked on her nose anymore but loves it ont he back of head/base of skull and her back and when cudly her cheeks.
shes defiant bossy,moody....playful...norty very norty!! best pals with our two young cats who are hell and so she loves playing rough n tumble with them but shes got too big for them now and they get squished regularly!:lol::lol:

shes a great hider..she knows shes been caught out so she hides.
shes hell to cath comb etc and i always but always take the biggies to the vets for nail clippings its easier! medicating is always a 2 person job but then i have tow littlies who are as much hard work to medicate!
being so huge they dont like a lot of things but if you handle them on your terms and not heirs things get tricky cos they dont half have some power!

theyre as mad as little buns..as affectionate as little buns...as alof as little buns.....but they do sleep a heck of a lot more than little buns and tolerate things better as their hearingis slowed down by huge lop ears but contis i dont know wouldnt it be amplifed! maria and neil are the conti /frenchies owners to ask:lol:

basically like a normal bun if such a thing exists just BIGGER!!!:lol:

Hi there your rabbits are gorgeous :love:

I have two Conti Giants and am very new aswell. Ive had my two girls for 2 weeks, they are 11 weeks old and growing fast. My only piece of advice is to take out shares in a cabbage field! Mine get through one cabbage in two days, along with loads of other veg! They are fantastic rabbits, and both have their own characters, Thelma is lazy and bossy, and Louise is a rascal who prefers chewing on my shoe laces and trouser legs!
There are pictures on another thread...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=139970

Just saw pics of yours Michelle they are gorg! Can I ask what size hutch you have for 2? I have bought a 6ft x2ft x 3ft tall. Does anyone know if this will last or should I get two fro when there older and join together??? Don't want squished bunnys!!!!

Thanks! My two girls live in a Kennel & run. The kennel is 4ft X 8ft by 5.5ft high, and the run is 6ft x 8ft by 5.5ft high! They love their home, and they should grow into it nicely! They have their own patch of grass to run around on, and we extended to concrete slab the kennel bit is on, so they have somewhere cold to lay when it gets a little hot... here are some pics...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=136818&page=2

Must say, its looks a lot better now theres grass, toys and the whole thing got a lick of paint!

There hutch is in the shed and they are 'free' to come out of the hutch anytime, there are toys set up in the shed for them, then during the day when I'm at home I open the shed door and allow them to run free in the garden (its fully enclosed and secure) I have 2 seperate runs for Logan and my guinea pigs but thpught the giants will have more fun with the whole garden! x

That sounds great. I dont trust my buns yet. I have an 80ft by 60ft garden, and i know they would play up when its time to go back in. So im going to wait until they are a bit bigger, and have some more trust in me before they start playing havoc in my garden!

I have a massive French lop and he is free range in our house. He's very sweet but only when he wants attention! He's also very lazy, from what other people are saying this sounds like a trend in them!

I agree with the point about getting them used to be handled quickly, Oscar simple wont be picked up and there is nothing we can do about it now as he is nearly two and set in his ways. I don't think the woman i got him from handled him enough, or maybe he's always been a trouble maker! :roll: It does make this difficult as it not only hurts you if you need to pick him up (at the vets maybe) as they are very very strong, but i worry that he will twist and kick so hard that he will hurt his spine.

They are both lush by the way, you're very lucky! :love:

Back