• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits living near guinea pigs

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
Ok this is a sort of... theoretical question!

How close by can guinea pigs and rabbits live to each other without there being a risk of pasteurella being passed on? The sort of situation I am thinking of is a room where the bunnies are on the floor, and the piggies are raised up off it in a cage - so they would be quite close by and sharing the same air space, but not directly coming into bodily contact, not sharing bedding etc etc.

This as always intrigued me, the pet store by us actually homes piggies and bun,s together:? i thought you shouldnt do this or am i wrong.:D

This as always intrigued me, the pet store by us actually homes piggies and bun,s together:? i thought you shouldnt do this or am i wrong.:D

no you shouldnt that much i do know. i know that the gps need more vit c in diet and more veg. than buns. buns can hurt or injury a gp in play accidently of course. and gps and buns can pass pasturella from one species to the other but im not sure of distance or of how this happens.

god no neer put them together !!!

my rabbits and guieas live about 3 footsteps acros the shed from each other but non have any illnesses

no you shouldnt that much i do know. i know that the gps need more vit c in diet and more veg. than buns. buns can hurt or injury a gp in play accidently of course. and gps and buns can pass pasturella from one species to the other but im not sure of distance or of how this happens.

Thankyou bunlover, thought as much :roll: when i do go next time to pick up supplies for my gang i,ll say something.Thankyou.xDeb.

But does anyone know what the safe distance is? ie when no floor space is shared, just air space.

At school the guinea pigs were in the other side of a fairly large room, also the rabbits tended to run freely around the guinea pig run and none have gotten sick yet (which would mean either none of our animals carried it in the first place or we were lucky... )

For the past eight years I have had four guinea pigs living in the same room as my bunnies. My spare bedroom isn't massive (no good with measurements :oops:) but in the days when it was a spare bedroom it had a single bed in it, a wardrobe and desk, with room to walk round two sides of the bed, which was in the corner.

The rabbit cage was under the window on top of a hutch where Billy and Diddy my piggies lived, and then I had two girlies in a cage on top of the desk in the far corner. Billy lived to eight years old without any problems at all and Diddy is now living with Barney in a different room, but only because since having two bunnies I have moved the rabbit cage onto the floor and expanded it with pens. The other piggies that lived in the room have all lived to 5+.

I'm not sure what the recommendation is, but in my case the piggies have all been very healthy.

It's Bordetella Bronchiseptica not Pasteurella Multocida that rabbits can carry and pass to cavies.

its not just the sickness you need to worry about its the guineapig and rabbit how do you think they would feel?
well i just wouldnt put them together even if they have been together for years they can still be mean to each other i heard to much storys on it so i wouldnt.

its not just the sickness you need to worry about its the guineapig and rabbit how do you think they would feel?
well i just wouldnt put them together even if they have been together for years they can still be mean to each other i heard to much storys on it so i wouldnt.

She is not asking about bonding them for cohabitation but how safe it is for them to be in the same room, albeit in seperate cages.

Thankfully cohabitation between rabbits and GPs is fast, and rightfully, becoming an outdated practice.

Thanks everyone. :)

I knew someone would assume I was planning on putting rabbits to live with guinea pigs, despite my words. ;)

Well, only sometimes! :lol:

lol of course you are... there is no reason to keep gps and rabbits together for company now as neutering is so advanced it is perfectly acceptable to easily(ish) pair two buns and pair gps seperatly... .no i too knew you meant if you kept both as pets...seperate living spaces...how far apart in air/floor should their runs/homes be?and how long bacteria lived if it was passed by touching stuff by each other

Yes, I think the danger would probably be more the human being the carrier. The animals would have to be cleaned and fed separately, with hand washing etc.

Yes, I think the danger would probably be more the human being the carrier. The animals would have to be cleaned and fed separately, with hand washing etc.

Isn't Bordetella mainly airborne though? Hence how it spreads so quickly in a kennel environment.

Back