• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

MUCOID ENTERITIS?????HELP.anyone from doncaster know any rabbit savvi vets?

hardybaby

Warren Scout
hiya im new to rabbits united :) so hellp to everyone.

i am so worried about my bunny Hardy and my vet seems rubbish doess anyone in doncaster or rotherham know of a good vet particulary with rabbits? hardy has been ill and has a lot of gas in his small intestines and now he is passing mucous in his quite runny poo and then he goes ages without pooing. i keeep trying and trying with the vet and i just think more shoulld be done, is this the case? does this sound a cause for concern? he wont eat timothy hay he is eating the rubbish stuff meadow hay. and please can someone tell me what the best pellets are because im new to bunnyworld and need to stabalise my new bunnies diets, i have two others called laurel and dilan. i have been reading so much stuff on the internet and in books i keep getting worried. any advice pleeease :)

sophie, hardy, laurel and dilan

I can't help you with a vet your way I'm afraid but I truely hope someone can as mucous in the poo is serious, especially in young bunnies. We recently had 6young rabbits come in with the same problem and they were put on Septrin - might be worth having a chat with your not so bunny savvy vet whilst waiting for some advice as left untreated it can be fatal.

not in your area but bumping up ur thread so maybe someone near can recommend rabbit-savvy vet -Sue:wave:

Is Sheffield too far for you to travel? Kirsty & Lola uses a vet in Doncaster maybe you could PM her.

on the road to recovery i hope

hi there!!! just got back from a vets in wath arncliffe vets!!!!!! it seeeems loads better! and cheaper!! hardy.... who is a girl apparently has been renamed to LUCY lol so my screen name is a little inappropriate now!!
anyway SHE has had two injections one to get her gut moving and i think the other was antibiotic and she has gave me oral beytril..and pineapple juice i am giving her and she is wolfing her hay down so im HOPING she is going to recover... sheffield not too far what is vets called??

anyone know if excel rabbit food an good??

thanks so much for support and help xxxx:p

anyone know if excel rabbit food an good??

Glad you managed to get them seen :D How old / big are they? I think the excel junior and dwarf is good for youngsters and small rabbits but the adult excel can give some buns a tendancy to produce excess caecotrophs and squidgy poo. Science selective is good if you can get hold of it :)

Bunny Pellets

I am giving my 2 buns who are 12 weeks old tomorrow half a teaspoon mornin n night of oxbows 15/23 alfalfa based pellets and they are eating loads of timothy and orchard grass hay, but still seem to be producing a few more cecal pellets around midday they are only gettin around 10 pellets 20 in total each all day could it be the pellets as they contain 15% protein n the vet said it seems they are gettin too much protein HELP please as im stuck as to what to give them now . :(

Baby bunnies should have a constant supply of pellets to help them grow and develop. The excel J and D has what a growing bunny needs. Not sure about the oxbow as I have never used it.

was my vet who told me to cut their food down as they keep producin excess cecals i cant just change em over to excel pellets they only just gone completly on to these oxbow 15/23 for baby buns, oxbow are very good for pellets and hay i just cant understand why they keep havin these excess poos then they just go back to normal ones again :cry:

I'm not a baby bunny expert - it's only recently we've had some come into the rescue but I am sure they should be fed unlimited pellets and I was told than sometimes baby bunnies don't eat their caecotrophs but learn to do so as they get older :? Take it with a pinch of salt I may be wrong but someone who knows more than me can prob tell you.

:wave: We use a formula called avpro plus , its great with baby buns as it has prebiotic and probiotic in it to ensure a balance of both . Excel J and D has 16% protein in it and along with good quality hay should keep the tummy balanced. Alfalfa upset our bunnys tummys so this could be it . When we purchased an 8 week old bunny she came down with M enteritis , we fed her allen and page breeder and grower and plenty of hay and we managed to save her , Allen and page breeder and grower is brilliant and at the current moment we're trying to wean our rabbits onto it , they usually turn there nose up at it at first it takes patience , but its well worth it as it keeps your rabbits teeth and coat healthy and improves there general temperament and overall health. I'm a little concerned as to how little pellets your feeding your babys , they need pellets as this will help them grow and keep healthy . At the moments our buns are having funny tummys , they do this weather so it could be that as well . Good luck :D

Oh and baby buns are very prone to stress especially at this age , thats why you have to be so careful as this can cause bloat and mucoid enteritis, so keep an good eye on there eating and pooing and weeing and make sure there tummys are never rock hard and bloated as this is a sure sign of bloat and rabbits don't usually survive it and also keep an good eye on there behaviour as well , just to make sure there not acting abnormal or anything and that there hopping around and not just sitting there in the corner .:)

I used a vets in Balby they were ok nothing to complain about but nothing brill to rave about..

hey !! yeah i used the one in bably..spingwel lane?? it was ok but after reading about all you can do for rabbits and all the things you can do i thought that the vet could have done more for lucy coz all they kept saying was "keep on with the hay" ... and i just wanted to be sure so i used a vet in wath and seems better...were ae you from?:wave:

Hi:wave:, we're in Barnsley and use Abbey vets, the vets there are excellent with rabbits, very knowledgable and we also use them as our 24 hour cover for any of our boarders or pet sitting/walking clients pets if they are poorly.

Arncliffe vets is quite good though too:D

Back