• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my untame rabbit

i have had my rabbit for some time now and hes a bit scratchey and bitey. hes like this when i put my hands in the cage although that is fairly infrequent. it is when i pick him up or sit him on my knee that he gets aggressive. i was considering getting him castrated. what should i do?

Rabbits are prey animals and generally do not liked being picked upas it is seems to them they are being attacked by a hunter (like an eagle swooping down on them)so they naturally fight back. let your rabbit hop around in a small space and put dandelions or bits of treats like raw carrot pieces on and near your lap while you are sat nearby. Speak softly and your rabbit will come to you for the food, Initially it will grab the food and run away but in time you will be able to hand feed you bun without being bitten. Some rabbits progress to enjoy being stroked and love to hop on your lap, others(even those that have been neutered, prefer bunny company to humans.

I have one rabbit that loves to be stroked and would sit next to me all day like that and another who hates that type of attention but still can be hand fed. If you decide to get your rabbit a partner you will have to consider neutering. Ask around for a rabbit-savvy vet in your area-(post on here) if you decide on neutering.-Sue:wave:

Back