• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bun in Statis

hunnybun

Mama Doe
Help! I am running out of ideas, I have a 18 week old rabbit, who went into Statis on Thurs, even after all the usual treatment he is still no better and still not eating but is passing some soft poo. He has lots of discomfort and a very noisy tum. I have been giving him pain killer, prepulsid and metoclopramide. Massage on his tum several times and day but no improvement! anyone got any advice to give? ( also started him on fibreplex)

had Vit B injection too.

Last edited:
Interesting article! The only thing I'd add is that there seem to have been a number of people recently whose buns have presented with repeating stasis as a symptom of EC (due to damage to the gut lining) so maybe that's worth considering too :?

Interesting article! The only thing I'd add is that there seem to have been a number of people recently whose buns have presented with repeating stasis as a symptom of EC (due to damage to the gut lining) so maybe that's worth considering too :?

Yes I had heard that too ( but had forgotten) thanks :) I have just been syringe feeding him some Questran and some bio lapis, and massaging him tum again, I hope the wee soul picks up soon. :cry:

I have found fluid therapy ( subcutaneous or IV ) to be beneficial in severe GI disturbence. If giving Questran fluid therapy is essential.
I assume Bun is on regular pain relief?
An anti GI Ulcer medication ( eg Ranitidine AKA Zantac ) might help too.

I hope Bun starts to improve soon

Sound like you are doing everything you can. As Jane say, fluid therapy. Try to encourage your bun to take in more water. Try a bowl with a dash of boiling water to make it tepid, they seem to prefer it like that. Are you getting your bun to moved around quite a bit too as that might help (you have to be cruel to be kind).

I hope he is feeling better soon.

Lots of vibes for your poorly bun. I agree with Jane, I firmly believe Inky's life was saved by a vet who had the brains to give him a sub cut when he had a very bad case of stasis.

You're probably already doing this but try offering him any food he will eat eg. carrot tops, hand picked grass, sometimes these are enough to tempt them into eating again.

I have found fluid therapy ( subcutaneous or IV ) to be beneficial in severe GI disturbence. If giving Questran fluid therapy is essential.
I assume Bun is on regular pain relief?
An anti GI Ulcer medication ( eg Ranitidine AKA Zantac ) might help too.

I hope Bun starts to improve soon

yes he is having sub cut fluid as well as syringing him avi pro plus, I am giving a weak solution of Questran with plenty of fluid at the back of it and he is receiving pain relief ever 24 hrs. I have reintroduced him to his bunnygirl and they are out in the run just now and he is moving around a fair bit, still not eating though, I have offered him everything under the sun! his tum is still swollen and gurgly :cry: and he is in obvious discomfort.

yes he is having sub cut fluid as well as syringing him avi pro plus, I am giving a weak solution of Questran with plenty of fluid at the back of it and he is receiving pain relief ever 24 hrs. I have reintroduced him to his bunnygirl and they are out in the run just now and he is moving around a fair bit, still not eating though, I have offered him everything under the sun! his tum is still swollen and gurgly :cry: and he is in obvious discomfort.

Poor Chap :cry:
Has he been treated with Fenbendazole ( Panacur/Lapizole ) ?

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/gutstasis.asp

I would certainly consider E Cuniculi - I had 2 bunnies who went in and out of stasis for 10 months before EC was finally diagnosed. Unfortunately this left them with permanent problems, which I really wish had been picked up sooner. There are some others on here who have had similar issues (eg. Fionabun and Sarahbarnsley, although neither seem to be active members anymore :().

If your vet isn't willing to consider EC without all the usual more obvious symptoms, I'd be tempted to try a short course of Panacur/Lapizole, see whether the bunny responds, and if so, continue the course for 6 weeks (ie for an active case.

Good luck!!! :)

Last edited:
i found useing a smaller syringe for tepid water was easier for linus when he was bad, i had a glass of water near me for easy refills and just sat in front of him talking to him instead of holding him. he did try and chew the syringe away but once i started slowly squirting the water throw he just lapped it up, i know the other treatments are stressfull
and it seems you are doing all you can right now {{{vibes for the lil man}}}}

you tried rubbing his favourite treat like a strawberry on some hay something juicey, so he has something

Thanks, I started him on Panucur today, I keep an stock of it anyway. He is still not responding, but no worse either, he is back with his partner and is getting groomed and snuggled so fingers crossed he will pick up soon. I know about Fionabun, i boarded 2 of her rabbits here for a while and they came armed with a supply of all medication for buns with Statis! ;)

I would certainly consider E Cuniculi - I had 2 bunnies who went in and out of stasis for 10 months before EC was finally diagnosed. Unfortunately this left them with permanent problems, which I really wish had been picked up sooner. There are some others on here who have had similar issues (eg. Fionabun and Sarahbarnsley, although neither seem to be active members anymore :().

If your vet isn't willing to consider EC without all the usual more obvious symptoms, I'd be tempted to try a short course of Panacur/Lapizole, see whether the bunny responds, and if so, continue the course for 6 weeks (ie for an active case.

Good luck!!! :)

I'm so sorry.I hope that you get some comfort in that you did everything you possibly could for him.Binky free Rio.

Thanks, it was a long struggle with him, he was born here at the rescue and had not long gone to a new home, it was hard to see him so poorly. I have some lovley photos of him and I will keep him in my heart. His new family will miss him lots.

DSC_0108.jpg

Last edited:
Back