• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urine incontinence in baby of 3 months

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
ive got a little boy in at the moment who is very wet round his rear end, ive seen my vet today and have been told its because he isnt neutered:shock: and neutering will sort it out i was then told to put rear guard on him:? surely this isnt right :? if he,s wet round his rear end there is a problem, dfoes anyone know what could possibly be wrong. he,s eating and pooing ok :D

I agree, I can't see how removing testicles will cure incontinence. That sounds like a cop out to me. If anything, the link is usually that neutering can cause it in females. There is medication for this in dogs, Propalin drops, no idea if it can be used in rabbits though :?

Could he just be sitting in his pee? Not sure whether EC would be a problem of incontinence in one so young. Ill have a look on Dana Krempel's site

I thought Max was incontinent as he was always wet around his rear end. However it appears now that he was actually choosing to sit in his own pee??

When I saw the vet about Max they said it could be a problem with his kidneys and we need to do a bloodtest. We have been unable to do that bloodtest yet as because of one thing after another he has been on antibiotics since which will affect the results.

They also suggested it could be a hip problem and that he is unable to lift his rearend out of the way when he pees so could be something like this? My vet checked Max's hips and they were ok which is why we settled on kidneys.

If it is true incontinence-ie constantly leaking wee then I would consider a UTI or EC.

A simple dip test of a urine sample will indicate if infection is present.
A course of Baytril ( 10-14 days) is generally curative of UTIs
A 6 week course of Fenbendazole ( Panacur/Lapinzole) would also be a good idea incase EC is involved. All other in contact Rabbits would need the Fenbendazole too.
A Bleach based solution is required for cleaning the accomodation as bleach will kill the EC spores which are shed in an infected Rabbits urine

Another possibility is a defect in his penis which means the direction of flow of wee goes over his legs.
Pain in his spine/hips/hocks would make adopting the correct position to urinate painful. I would expect a Bun with a skeletal problem to have mobility issues aswell as getting wet from wee

A Bun who is constantly wet with wee is at risk of Urine Scald and Flystrike

I so need to go to specsavers as I thought this was a 3 week old bunny and not a 3 month old one. Seems Panacur would be a good place to start and a urine test, thanks for the advice.

Could a very young bunny i.e. 3/4 weeks have EC and, if so, what is the earliest age you can start giving Panacur. That would be useful information to have.

Could a very young bunny i.e. 3/4 weeks have EC and, if so, what is the earliest age you can start giving Panacur. That would be useful information to have.

Yes they can get the EC infection from their mother. I have given panacur to baby bunnies with worms before now, not sure about its safety for a long ec course - but then I guess it's a balance of damage by ec v potential damage by drugs :?

Back