• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental cost?

shazzy81

Young Bun
Hi

Tyler had a dental yesterday 4 months after his first when he was neutered. I was only charged £20 for the first dental as he was already under aneasthetic.

Yesterday i had the shock of my life when i was told how much it was. £94.11 inc follow up tummy moving jab today. I just cant see why a dental costs more than castration!!

Just out of interest what kind of prices has anyone paid?

Over the last three years I paid around £60 depending on how complex it was, that was the average for ten dentals. The bunny in question recovered really quickly so there was only one time that I had extras to pay for when they kept her in until she had pood. I think that time was about £90

I've just had another bunny have a much rougher time with a dental and had to be kept in and syringe fed for a day or two. I've just paid a little short of £200 for him!! It's his first dental so I'm hoping neither of us have to go through that again.

Was the dental molar spurs, out of interest? It might make a difference to how complex the treatment would be.

I pay about £50-£60 for a dental, it is usually the anaesthetic that makes up most of the price.

Thanks it was molar spurs yes. I mean i love him to bits but i dont want to be paying £95 every 4 months!!

He doesnt eat much hay which i dont think helps.

Anyone tried alan and page pellets?

Thanks it was molar spurs yes. I mean i love him to bits but i dont want to be paying £95 every 4 months!!

If it helps any, it might not stay at every four months. The bunny I quoted as having ten dentals started at a pace of every 3 months but got to 9 months a couple of times as she got older. She was a good hay eater but her front teeth were badly aligned, I'm guessing that spurs would have grown anyway because her teeth just didn't meet properly.

If it turned out to be a more complex op, the vets often start to charge for the time it takes. Hopefully it will be less if there is another time. I have been told rabbits, weight for weight, need more anaesthetic than cats and dogs, that's why ops cost so much.

Wow, these bunnies teeth are worth more than gold!! Im hoping this wont be a regular thing but if it is, theres not a lot i can do about it.

Thats right

We pay about that for ours. It is the cant spell it knocking out stuff as when Angel was getting her eye flushed through it cost the same and that was every other day! When you look at the receipt it tells you its something like £3 a tooth and the rest is putting them under bringing them back around and vat. We are in the wrong job be a vet! Seriously though you have paid the norm.

I think I paid about £80 for a dental with GA. As mine needs them very regular (monthly) they are done conscious and it is about £18-£25. My dental bun will not eat hay. Even when done by Ga it only last about a month for him too.

We have a vet who does them concious for £10 - The practice is one of a group and I think the other practices charge about £45 for the GA and dental work as they don't have vets there with the same ability.

My vets charge £10 for a conscious dental (which has been a godsend for my bun who needs her molars doing every fortnight). They charge a little more for buns to have a whiff of gas to make them a little sleepy, and about £35 for a full GA

I *touch wood* haven't had to have a dental with Bailey yet. He has had his teeth trimmed (the front) but as he is a good hay eater and we have limited his pellets and hard veg only, we are managing his problems effectivly. He had his teeth trimmed over 3 months ago and they are no where near needing another dental..

they seem to be growing straighter then ever.

x

Back