• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

zithromax-any one used it for headtilt

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
hiya
my bunny has had headtilt now for 4 weeks. she has been on penicillin for the past week and has improved slowly. I have heard great things about the antibiotic zithromax and am thinking about trying it and wondered if anyone had tried it.

I think Caroline at the Rabbit Residence has used it to good effect, I don't think it was for head tilt though but I'm sure she's used it for something.

I have a bunny, Pie and she had it for snuffles, she had to have 3 bottles at a cost of £45 and it didn't have any effect, I was really disappointed

Mine have had it for upper respiratory tract infections and it was really effective. It's banana flavour too so the buns have liked the taste!

i used septrin when Thumper had head tilt due to a bad ear infection ... it worked very well and was less than a tenner a bottle ... so a much cheaper alternative.

hiya
my bunny has had headtilt now for 4 weeks. she has been on penicillin for the past week and has improved slowly. I have heard great things about the antibiotic zithromax and am thinking about trying it and wondered if anyone had tried it.

what is causing the head tilt? is it an ear infection? If not a major cause of head tilt is EC and she should be treated using panacur paste.

http://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthinfo10.html

anti biotics have a short term effect on EC but panacuur is most effective.

I had Zithromax for Bilbo when she had snuffles - it masked the problem but didn't cure it and it is desperately expensive!

my bun has had panacur for almost 4 weeks and is still on it. We suspect that it isn't e.c and more likely an ear infection or pasteurella although she hasn't had symptoms. The penicillin has helped her alot but don't want to stay on that. I have tried baytril and ceperax with no effect. i have heard alot of good things about zithromax although from what you all have said it doesn't seem to work everytime but i have decided i want to give it a try and will let you know how it works. thanks for all your input!!

The best thing to do would be to try and determine exactly what is the underlying problem - blood tests for E.cuniculi antibody detection and Xrays of the skull and examination of the deep parts of the ear canal under anaesthetic or sedation would help with the decision on treatment.
I have found zithromax very useful as a short sharp burst of treatment for infectious conditions, usually dental abscess related following surgery to remove the abscess and capsule, but if there is an inner ear infection responsible then the 'walled off' nature of this may prevent good response to any antibiotic.

Back