• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and chickens

I don't know, my chickens live in runs about 30 feet from the rabbits and the rabbits have never caught anything. I don't think I would let the rabbits run with the chickens though, not only because chickens can be pretty aggressive with their beaks, but I'd worry about them catching stuff like salmonella off the droppings.

I don't really know, I guess as long as the chickens can't sit on top of the runs and poop in the buns runs, it would be OK. Remember that chickens are even worse than rabbits for attracting rats and mice, so try and make sure no food lies around too long.
Do you have chickens and rabbits together at the moment?

I think there is something they can catch from birds. I've a feeling it starts with c but it's one of those scientificy words that are hard to remember/spell. Your vet would probably know.

I don't really know, I guess as long as the chickens can't sit on top of the runs and poop in the buns runs, it would be OK. Remember that chickens are even worse than rabbits for attracting rats and mice, so try and make sure no food lies around too long.
Do you have chickens and rabbits together at the moment?

Hiya
Im going on holiday in aug my friend is looking after 4 of the rabbits and the piggies,they will be sleeping in her dining room but in the day they will go out into there runs in the garden,but they need to go into the encolsure she has for her chickens its massive cause there free range and get shut in a hen house at night its all grass except for a large concrete area which is what the rabbit runs will be going on,basically its half of her garden cause the other half is for the dogs and her little boy to play in

I'd suggest giving the concrete a wipe over with some disinfectant. I shouldn't have though they'd catch anything just being close by and that will kill anything on the ground.

I think there is something they can catch from birds. I've a feeling it starts with c but it's one of those scientificy words that are hard to remember/spell. Your vet would probably know.

Are you thinking of coccidiosis, I'm pretty sure its host specific though.
Clostridium could be the other one, but I think it is fairly common as a soil borne bacteria, and is a problem mainly in intensively farmed birds.

bluebunny, i would ask her if she could wash down the concrete bit the buns are on, daily if its not too much bother, just to avoid any droppings sitting around.

Is it Coccidiosis ive just found that they can be infected by that on the site though it only mentions it being passed on the dogs and cats

Are you thinking of coccidiosis, I'm pretty sure its host specific though.
Clostridium could be the other one, but I think it is fairly common as a soil borne bacteria, and is a problem mainly in intensively farmed birds.

bluebunny, i would ask her if she could wash down the concrete bit the buns are on, daily if its not too much bother, just to avoid any droppings sitting around.

I might ask her to pen the concrete area off with some chicken wire so they cant get on it,she does actually have her piggie run on the grass though so i will mention to her about them catching something

Back