• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering and VHD jab

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
Could Peppa have her VHD jab the day she is neutered or would it be better to wait for the jab? Which way around shall I do things? She is booked in for her myxi jab this Fri. I would like to stop her hormonal behaviour so she can settle in to her new life. The vet who done Charlie's wound check (he was not long out of vet school) said VHD isn't that wide spread in this country :shock: and she could wait for the jab until she is healed after the neutering. What do you guys think?

In an ideal world i would get they're myxi and vhd out of the way. Leave it a couple of weeks then go in for neuter.

As far as vhd goes and it not being widespread - would you want to take that risk? I am sure there will be people on this forum who have gone through buns with vhd.

If you are not 100 % confident in your vet I would definitely look into different vets x

As you have to have 14 days between jabs I'd say get her mxyi'd ..7 days later speyed..7 days later VHD..thats what we do with the rescues and they are fine..give her body a chance to deal with each thing too:D

I like to leave 14 days between a Myxo Vac and a neuter as the manufacturers of the vaccine state that full immunity is established 14 days after vaccination.

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Nobivac_Myxo/090_Product_Datasheet.asp

I would not want the immune response to the vaccine to be compromised by a GA

So my order of doing things would be Myxo Vac, 14 days later neuter, then 14 days after neuter (to allow a good recovery time) VHD Vaccination.

Just my personal opinion :)

As you have to have 14 days between jabs I'd say get her mxyi'd ..7 days later speyed..7 days later VHD..thats what we do with the rescues and they are fine..give her body a chance to deal with each thing too:D

I'd do it the same as Jill. I am getting increasingly frustrated though by vets who are telling people there is no need for a VHD jab as it's not prevalent. Simple rule here - No jabs, No admittance. I simply tell customers, your choice if you get them jabbed or not, but our choice not to accept them without full vaccinations.

This vet that said that VHD wasn't a prob was so wet behind the ears it was laughable. There is no way I'm not going to vaccinate against VHD whether there is a huge or low risk. I can prevent it for the price of one jab in a year.

Thanks for the advice, got to study the calender to see which days hubby has off, as he is the only one who can drive and see how I can play it.

Back