• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can rabbits hold on for the toilet??

angieb

Mama Doe
I have recently got new hutches for my two does (miffy and bunny). They are the type of hutch with the run attached. At night and when we go out i lock the hutch so that they cant get in the run. I am really baffled as miffys cage does't have a toilet area and bunny only really wees a little in one corner! They both seem to wait for the run.
How long can they hold onto it for??

I think they can hold on, as Lulu used to do this when she was in her hutch for any length of time, she would only pee in the litter tray, inside her playpen area, rather than in the hutch. We ended up having to let her stay out all the time, luckily she was a house rabbit so we were able to do this, not sure about outside.
Have you tried all the usual things - putting some of the soiled litter in the toilet corner of the hutch etc etc?

They can hold on for a long time - a member here (elve) had a bunny who wouldn't "go" in her hutch. i cant imagine its very good for them though. do they have a litter tray in there?

A couple of days ago miffy was useing her bedroom area aswell as the run for weeing, but when i have gone into it to clean it, it's completely dry. bunnie wees in one corner but not very many poos off either of them. The longest time will be night time. I lock them up about 10pm and as soon as the kids get me up between 6am and 7am they are let out and we dont always go out during the day.

Mine won't go in his hutch - holds on till morning when I let him out on the garden - he has a special place he goes there! It's full of poop! Haven't had the weather to dry it up - it's disgusting.

when we take alvin to scotland he wees at the very start of the journey, i think it must be surprise maybe.. but then after that he can hold his pee and poop till we arrive and his litter tray is set up

OKay, this is a very serious problem. One of my bridge bunny, Little Happy, used to do that. Any bunny, who holds on to their urine, will have chronic kidney problem when they are a bit older, say 4 yr. old.

Since the above was discovered, w/ all my bunnies thereafter, I take them to their urine spot every 2 hr., and they will dump something out, even a small amt. of urine. Thus, to prevent chronic kidney problem down the road

When Tamara and Flopsy are inside they don't mess on my floor. Sometimes Tamara will, but not verry often.
they r soooo cute, Tam always sneaks up onto my bed cuz of the electric blanket.lol

Back