• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

long haired rabbits

touie

Wise Old Thumper
I just read somewhere that they might need to eat more then normal coated rabbits as they use alot of energy growing fur!!! Is that true? :shock: :? :oops:

I've never heard of that...in fact the "hungriest" buns I've known of are rex-rabbits, and they're definitely not long-haired:lol: (I have 4 rexes and a dwarf mix and the rexes definitely eat the most hay)

I was just asking cause Caramels really skinny if it is because I haven't been feeding her enough I'd feel terrible!

I've never heard that either - I would have thought it had a negative impact and the bunster may get hotter (due to eating more/having more fur)

Not sure

You do use protein for growing hair I guess...but I can't imagine long fur would make a noticeable difference.

I am just speculating though, I don't have any inside knowledge. :)

where did you read it?

Maybe bun is a bit thinner because hes ingested too much fur & isnt eating as much as usual. Is he eating the same amount before he lost weight? Try giving him a very small piece of fresh pineapple that may help move the fur on

You do use protein for growing hair I guess...but I can't imagine long fur would make a noticeable difference.

I am just speculating though, I don't have any inside knowledge. :)

where did you read it?

I can't remember now I think it was a bunny advice page somewhere :oops:

Maybe bun is a bit thinner because hes ingested too much fur & isnt eating as much as usual. Is he eating the same amount before he lost weight? Try giving him a very small piece of fresh pineapple that may help move the fur on

it's not a recent thing she's always been a skinny bones, just more so in the last year I guess but I did cut all their pellets down and change them from SS to A & P

Back