• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

constipation ? GI Statis?

beadazzle

New Kit
Hello,
I'm looking for some advice about my rabbit. I have a 1 year old lionhead who has been off her food for 2 days now. She hasn't drunk much water and isn't passing hardly any stools. She is grinding her teeth in pain and is lethargic and laying down all the time. I have been to the vets with her this morning who examined her and said she thought she was constipated. She gave her a painkiller injection and an antibiotic injection. She also sent me home with some liquid food, antibiotic drops and liquid paraffin. When I mentioned GI Statis to her she just looked at me odd and said she just thought it was constipation. I'm so worried about her. If it was Statis, would she need to be on anything else for it or is she on the correct treatment?
I have given her some of the food and she has tolerated it ok. I have given her regular drinks of water with a syringe which she has also taken. Is there anything I else I need to be doing or giving her? I've just been reading that massage is good for this. Will I harm her if I do this?

Sorry about all the questions :oops: I'm just so worried. We lost our last bunny due to floppy bunny syndrome and I don't want to lose another one.

Thank you so much in advance x

I'm not liking the sounds of your vet, to be honest. :(

The most important thing is to for the bunny to poop - eating is secondary in importance. Continue to give very regular fluids (boiled and cooled water). Something else that can be helpful is peppermint tea (obviously cooled). The bunny may need fluids to be given by a vet though (sub cut or by IV).

If you don't get a response soon, please don't hesitate to contact another vet. Best of luck to you - let us know how you get on.

I've just re-read your first message, and it appears that the vet didn't give any gut stimulant. Is that the case? If so, I'd try to see another vet asap.

Hello

Whilst I am not a Vet I do question the diagnosis and treatment you have been given for your Rabbit

Did the Vet examin her ? ie check for gut sounds by listening to her abdomen with a stethescope, palpate the abdomen to check for any signs of obstruction or bloat, examin your Buns mouth for any sign of Dental problems

I would question why an antibiotic was given without evidence of a bacterial infection. At least Bun has had pain relief. Why did Vet feel a gut motility stimulant was not appropriate?

Personally going on what you have said here I would be consulting a different Vet, especially if Bunny is not yet pooing and eating.

Abdominal massage can be helpful but not if there is a GI obstruction or bloat.
Syringe feeding a Rabbit with bloat will do more harm than good so I can only assume the Vet has said that your Bun has an impacted bowel as opposed to a bloated/non emptying stomach.
Water is extremely important for a Bun in Stasis so you are doing the right thing by giving your Bun oral fluids.

Is there another Vet at the practice you could see ?

Thank you for your replies.

No a gut stimulant wasn't given. She didn't listen to her tummy but did have a look in her mouth. She checked her temperature and it was high but she put this down to her being stressed. Lola was very agitated and jumped into my arms. She did palpate her abdomen though and said it was a little full but not overly full. This is when she said it was constipation.

This evening she has started to drink from her water bottle a little more and has eaten some of her hay that is in her cage. She does seem slightly more alert than this morning and has done a few more poos - very hard ones still.
With statis do they sometimes recover slightly and then go downhill again? I'm not sure now if I should be force feeding her the liquid food in case there is a blockage :(

There is another vet at the practice but she is on holiday. I may contact the vet who the bunny sanctuary (who I adopted her from) deal with. She had her jabs and op done there and they were fantastic with her. It is a long way away but I would feel much better if they saw her I think.
Thank you for not making me think I was worrying about her for nothing!

That sounds quite positive - she's eating and drinking on her own and has passed a few poops. If she goes downhill again, it may well be when the painkiller wears off. You may not need to give fluids, since she's now drinking on her own - just check that she's drinking plenty and the poops keep coming. :)

Back