• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Charlie is over grooming/pulling out fur

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
He is making the tops of his front legs bald. And I think the fur on his back legs looks thin. I was at the vets yesterday with him for a wound check and the vet wasn't too concerned. :shock: It wasn't my normal vet and I'm back there in a weeks time so if its no better I'm going to be making them do tests.

This has only started since surgery. He is currently on Baytrill and Metacam. We have a new arrival in Peppa (rabbit) which they can probably smell but haven't seen close up. Could this be stress related? Or maybe mites? I be giving him a close inspection once my baby is asleep anything to look out for? Mocha is fine. They are both running about and binking. Charlie is more happy now than he has been for a few weeks. Advice appreicated!

You would think if it was mites they would both have it....cant offer much advice, but hope the wee guy stops doing it!!

I've had a close look as much as I could on me own and there doesn't seem to be any dandruff, just red from over grooming and pulling. I'm really at a loss, do rabbits pull at fur from stress?

Hi one of my buns Leo did the same thing, he was pulling the fur out at the top of his front legs and the inside of his back legs. I thought it was caused by stress because he was needing a dental, so after he had his dental I left it for a bit to see if he would stop but he started pulling the fur out on his stomach as well.

It turned out to be mites, his partner started to get a sore bit on her back and a couple of my other buns started to look scruffy so they were treated with ivermectin and he stopped the fur pulling :).

Back