• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay (baled today)

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Ive just got a bale of hay it was only baled today is it ok to feed now? or do i need to wait a few weeks? it smells lovely in the shed now:)

you have to wait 6 months for the hay to dry out completely...make sure it's got lots of air around it.

Hmmm...not sure about this, I'd heard that you have to leave it too, but equally, wild rabbits would eat this sort of stuff all year round, wouldn't they?

In the wild rabbits dont make hay. As long as its dry and mould free and smelling fresh i think ok. Just my oppinion tho.

Hay does take about 6 months to dry fully. It's at this stage while it's still semi moist that the mould spores will start to grow if it's not well ventilated. Cant see any problems with feeding it tho, my pony is currently hoovering up all the bits in the field the baler missed!!

Horses cannot be fed "green" new hay, because of the fermenting. It can cause colic & dioarrhea - like feeding grass clippings

Buns digestive systems are very similar to horses for most things. I don't wait 6 months, but I don't feed it green or damp.

Agree with Angie...new hay is fine as long as it's fully dried out and stored properly so it doesn't 'sweat'.

I'd undo the baling twine and fluff it up in breatheable bags (e.g. cotton duvet cover, etc).

Back