• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What should I do...

kayj

Wise Old Thumper
One of my rescue buns gave birth on wednesday night, long story but this is the second litter as the poor bun got pregnant straight away after giving birth to 5 lovely babies. She had given birth to 6 in total and left on away from one of the nests (she made two nests and put 3 in each) so that was dead and then the two that were left in one of the nests she kept taking out and leaving them, I kept putting them back and even put a heatpad in for them as they were getting cold. Anyway she let die overnight. Now the nest that is left with the other 3 in she as started taking one of them out of the nest and leaving so I have put it back right underneath the other 2. What should I do as I think she is just knackered from the others, she is eating fine and I am giving her porridge along with her food and veg as she is a little scrawny now as you can imagine.
Advice would be appreciated:D

What do you mean by taking it out of the nest. Is she digging it/attacking it?

Mum rabbits can't pick up and move their babies so if you find one out of the nest the probability is it's being accidentally dragged out. Babies latch on for milk then mum walks out the nest and babies get dragged out with her. To prevent this you need something with a lip on around the nest to knock the baby off. If the nest is in the bed you can just put a low board across the entrance hole so she has to jump over. If it's in the middle of the hutch you'll need to put a board all the way around the nest.

I would remove any babies from the second nest and put them in the first one. As above, mum can't move them so if she has ones away from the nest her only solution is to build a second nest around them.

Tam

she is literally using her nose to push them away from the nest, I have to say I have never seen it before as I know rabbits don't pick their babies up. I thought they were crawling out of the nest as they are quite lively but then I saw her pushing one out with her nose.

I don't know how breeders cope, it stresses me having babies:roll: even if they are cute:love:

well most mother rabbits dont do what yours is doing thats why its easy for breeders well it is for me when mine give birth

you havent held any of the babys have you?

No I haven't, I do know how to care for mum and babies just never had this happen before. Trust me to get the awkward mother:oops: Looks like I could end up hand rearing them doesn't it

Sorry I have misunderstood this...

Are you a rescue?

Did you get in a pregnant doe that gave birth and whilst in your care?

Whilst in your care she got pregnant after giving birth?

Why was she with males?

That is odd :?

Is she feeding them still? If she's not doing any damage I'd be inclined to just keep poping them back in the nest.

Handrearing isn't usually successful that age though if you have mum you can fed them off her which works better.

Are you a rescue?

Why was she with males?

Kay is a very compitent Rescue :)
She took in Mummy Bunny and Babies last week and obviously the previous carer had left a Buck with Mummy Bunny when she gave birth to the first litter.

Kay, I dont really have any advice as I am not that experienced with newborns. I have not seen her about for a wee while but I am sure if you could contact WalnutEarth she'd be able to give you good advice.

:)

Are you a rescue?

Why was she with males?

Answers to your questions:D

Yes I am a rescue

As it says at the I took in a female with her kits and also the father, the girl hadn't realised that the female had given birth do the male was still in with them until she got intouch with me who told her to remove him immediately but the female could still be pregnant again. So i knew when I took her in their was a possibilty she could be pregnant again.

No she didn't get pregnant in my care,

She or any other female do not go near males if either haven't been neutered

(I am not being sarcastic or even having a go, but I am really not that stupid to let unneutered males and females together)

Thanks Jane:D

Last edited:
Sounds like a nightmare - no advice - I know basic-litter stuff only:oops: with my One Baby Experience:lol:, but hope babies are all ok. Poor mum must be shattered:cry:

Well after me putting them back last night, I am glad to say they are still their and moving about. I am going to give mum a break today and let her have some sunshine to give her a boost:D.
Poor little mite:D

Back