• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To bond or not to bond

ribbons

Mama Doe
Hi folks

Should I bond my 8 week old male bunny with a fellow bunny or keep him his self? He was the only one in the litter & has been kept with his mum & I am now wanting to wean him so any advice much appreciated.

:D

i would bond him with a fello bunny but if he loves him mummy why not have him neturd and then put him back in with her after the ammount of time it takes for him after the neturing?

If you have his mum neutered next week, you can leave him in with his mum if you get him neutered as soon as his testicles appear (around week 12 - 16). There is a good chance that they can be kept together, obviously if he starts getting persistent then you will need to remove him and then rebond after he has recovered from his surgery.

i would bond him with a fello bunny but if he loves him mummy why not have him neturd and then put him back in with her after the ammount of time it takes for him after the neturing?

He really does love his mum but she is putting on a lot of weight by eating some his food too... She is a vey greedy bun... What if I want to breed her again, would it be wise to have them together?

I have a netherland dwarf who is around 2 years old would he be ok with baby bun? If so what is the best way to bond them??

If you have his mum neutered next week, you can leave him in with his mum if you get him neutered as soon as his testicles appear (around week 12 - 16). There is a good chance that they can be kept together, obviously if he starts getting persistent then you will need to remove him and then rebond after he has recovered from his surgery.

Too be honest I dont want mum neutered yet as her hubby is my bun too & would like to breed with the again at some point.

As soon as his hormones kick in, he's gonna start to fight with another boy. Neutering would probably stop that.

As soon as his hormones kick in, he's gonna start to fight with another boy. Neutering would probably stop that.

Many Thanks... So should am I best to take him off his mum & put him himself then neuter both boys & put them together?

Are they happier male & female together???

Many Thanks

Hi again folks...

Baby bun is happy with mum but she is hogging the food & is rather greedy so is going on a diet asap!!:)

Think I will seperate her & baby bun & put him himself & get him a friend but neuter first... I do want to pair him up with my netherland dwarf but can a lion head which will grow to be big go in with a small netherland dwarf???

Thanks

Our Lionhead who has just become a dad for the first time lived with his friend (until recently) a netherland dwarf happily for three years.
The lionhead is by far the gentler and the netherland has always had a rather agressive grumpy streak.
Sadly he wouldnt re bond with the lionhead after the lionhead had had an ear infection and seperated for a couple of months.
The loinhead seemed the lonliest so we found him a new friend who turned out to be the wrong sex, so we now have 2 additional little lionheads with possibly more on the way!
Now have both boys living next door to each other and have to figure out what to do!
I guess it depends on the individual rabbits.

yes, they can still bond. :) you will have to watch carefully that the lionhead doesnt bully the dwarf too much, but size & breed doesnt affect the bonding process. If i were you, i would hold off on the bonding until after the surgery and healing. hormones could cause the bonding to be difficult, and cause a fight, and bunnys can hold a grudge. If they fight, you may never be able to re-bond them. also, if you did bond them now, it would be sad for them both to seperate them for the sugery, and you cant gaurentee that they would both want to re bond afterwards.
just my two cents :)
good luck!

The best thing would be to bond him with Mum like Janice has said. :D

But to bond him with mum would mean she would need neutered & what happens if I want to breed her again would it be difficult because her son would be bonded with her then to split them up:shock: would that be ok???

BTW there's no such thing as a Netherland Dwarf Lop ;)

Oooops!!! I know that, I am a numpty:lol::lol:

yes, they can still bond. :) you will have to watch carefully that the lionhead doesnt bully the dwarf too much, but size & breed doesnt affect the bonding process. If i were you, i would hold off on the bonding until after the surgery and healing. hormones could cause the bonding to be difficult, and cause a fight, and bunnys can hold a grudge. If they fight, you may never be able to re-bond them. also, if you did bond them now, it would be sad for them both to seperate them for the sugery, and you cant gaurentee that they would both want to re bond afterwards.
just my two cents :)
good luck!

Baby lionhead is a sweetie so I would hope that once neutered he would be okay with my netherland dwarf.... I would get both neutered & put them together... What age can baby bun be neutered? How long for recovery???:D

He'll probably start trying it on from about 10 weeks, but you're better to separate him from Mum by 9 weeks because bucks can become fertile at as little as 10-12 weeks :shock: :D

People sometimes leave opposite sex babies togther and neuter the boy at the earliest possible age (before the girl becomes fertile), but you'll need to spilt early and keep them separate because Mum will get pregnant as soon as your boy matures

Back