• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur mites-what to do?

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
I posted around a month or so ago about how poor Errol is infested with fur mites. he was brought to the vets who confirmed it after looking at one under a microscope. we were told to continue to give the beapher spot on(which is basically just ivermec) every 10 days two more times, so he has had three treatments in all and although the number of mites on him has decreased he is still quite badly effected. the other bunnies have been treated too, but only the first two times as i have never actually seen anything on them.

the vet said if he was no better after the treatment to give him a bath with seleen shampoo. i really hate the idea of having to bath him because i know he will hate it and stress himself out(he and his brother Timmy are very nervous rabbits and often drool etc when we need to bring them the vets)

does anyone have any other ideas to try before putting him through a bath? id really appreciate any suggestions. i dont want to overload him with ivermec though as of course he has already had three treatments of this. is there anything else to try or will i just have to go through with the bath?

persevere...bif took months to get rid of them..as she was severely stressed and got gi stasiagain...

i tried the shots from the vets...xeno 450..and in the end used ivemectin drop on for several weeks....it finally cleared up...and so far so good.....no more....i got my ivermectin solution from pharmaQ expenisve but it worked for her.

Hi I use the pharmaq ivermectin drops too and they have worked really well for my rabbits :).
I have used xeno 450 and beaphar spot on before but the mites kept coming back :roll:.

thankyou for the replies, where did you both get these ivermec drops from? would it be safe to give him after already giving him three treatments of the beapher ivermec you think? i know the mites arent harmful to him and they dont seem to be bothering him and if he didnt have so many i would probably leave as is, but he is still quite heavily infested even after the treatments and dont want it getting worse and to the point that its bothering him.

vet did give him a good check over when he went and was given a clean bill of health other then the mites so does make you wonder how and why he got them when the other bunnies are fine :?

i have done a google search and found what i think is the same thing for around £25 a bottle. i was just wondering if anyone can tell me what the shelf life is of it? i do have a fair few animals so if the shelf life is good it would be even more worth paying for it so if i ever have a problem like this again i will have the stuff to hand. it is expensive but if it has worked for both of you where nothing else has then it will be worth it.

what is the course of treatment? is it once a week for three weeks as usual? just cant find much info about it anywhere.

if you could let me know where either of you got it online id appreciate it so i know im buying the right one :)

I got mine from my vet but you can get it online here:

http://www.pharmaq.co.uk/shop/erol.html#962x968

The shelf life is 3 months after opening and the dose is 2 drops per kg or a more accurate dose is 0.05ml per kg. You put it on the skin at the back of the neck once a week for 3 to 4 weeks.

I'm not sure how long to wait before you can start the treatment, I waited a couple of weeks because I thought the mites where gone but started these drops when I realised they were still there.

My 2 bunnies were infected about 2 months ago they went to the vet and he gave them and injection (cant remember name) which they had to get every 2 weeks for 3 injections. this cleared mine up straight away.

Back