• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just released my butterflies!

uniqueanneek

Alpha Buck
Well back in the middle of June I got given a butterfly farm for my birthday. The caterpillars took about 2 weeks to become chrysalides, and then about another 2 weeks before the butterflies hatched!

They all emerged on Sunday night, and I've kept them in their little habitat for a couple of days. I just came home from uni and moved them into the garden so they can fly free!

It's taken them bloomin ages tho! The first one went after a few mins, but I've left the others out their to find their way as they were struggling ;)

I should have really taken my camera, but I didn't think about it, been a bit preoccupied lately :roll:

wow didnt realise you can get your own butterfly farm what a loverly pressie, i have a cacoon attatch to my basil in the kitchen at the mo havent a clue what its going to turn out to be though most likely a moth :lol:

we had one at school for the chilldren,it is amazing,then I got giantafrican land snails and they are fab too,they have laid 150 eggs yesterday

aww we had a load of cabbage white catterpillas on our nastertiums one came in a chrysalised (i have nooo idea how you spell that or if it is even a word!!) on one of the dogs leads it hatched the other day and spent abou an hour fluttering round the conservatory. we keep getting loads in the garden too so guess more caterpillas are hatching too :D

We had one of these in the nursery i work in, it was very interesting to watch how they change, to start with caterpillars are in a tub with stuff in bottom for them to eat, then they go to top and hand from lid in their cocoon, then you put them in their habitat and they turn into butterflies, was so interesting to see how they changed, and to watch them fly free at the end was just amazing :)

hello! sorry for the late reply, only managed to check now after posting the thread.

Yeah you buy a kit, which comes with a little net habitat, and send a coupon away. They then send you a little cup with baby caterpillars in it, which comes complete with all the food they need. you then leave them in there until they form chrysalides, and then transfer them into the habitat. they stay ike that for about two weeks, and then emerge as butterflies!

after a few days you're supposed to let them free to live in their natural environment. I had 5. you put a plant and some leaves etc in their habitat and sprinkle sugary water in it and they drink that.

i will find a link for the kit I had :)

They were all painted lady butterflies which are apparantly becoming rarer in Britain, there is a website that tracks them and you're supposed to report if you see any, so they can estimate the numbers and areas they are in.

Back