• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

territorial aggression and hormones?

Radish

Mama Doe
does anyone know if territorial aggression is linked to hormones?

or is hormonal aggression one thing and territorial aggression a seperate issue?

My sister's bun has been displaying very territorial aggression. We had her spayed to try and calm her down, and although I know it can take a while for the hormones to be completly out her system, my sis and BIL say they cant cope any more. She is growling and biting them when they put their hands in the cage to feed her, or change toilet.

Any recommendations for taming her? I think she will come back and live with me once my landlord agrees..
Px

My sister's bun has been displaying very territorial aggression. We had her spayed to try and calm her down, and although I know it can take a while for the hormones to be completly out her system, my sis and BIL say they cant cope any more. She is growling and biting them when they put their hands in the cage to feed her, or change toilet.

Any recommendations for taming her? I think she will come back and live with me once my landlord agrees..
Px

Some buns are still territorial after. Or she may be anticipating their reactions - if they whip their hands away through fear, or punish her. Buns need to see hands as good things, so hands should only be for nose rubs or treats. I have had Calel for 2 years now. He is a real character, but easy to read now. When he's doing backflips & charging I suit up (couple of pairs of trousers, long sleeved shirts, padded jacket, wellies, oven gloves), but other times I can pick him up & cuddle him (when I'm feeling brave - ie drunk:oops::lol:). He gets daily nose rubs & I always hand feed him veg.

They can often improve with a partner too. Or just don't go on their territory:lol: I feed Calel his pellets in a pet carrier. If he sees it now, he jumps in. That way if he needs a vet urgently, or if I have him loose in the garden, I can (usually) catch him.

To be honest - I will never fully trust Calel. But he's happy without being a human-bun, so we all good:D

I did read that aggressive buns are often extra intelligent. So make sure this bun has plenty of toys & things to take anger out on. Calel attacks boxes:lol:
He's also realy clean & never goes anywhere except his litter tray - which has to be with it's back to the room:lol:

Back