• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

growing grass,veggies and herbs

rachelsawyer

Warren Scout
Right guys, here i go i am going to have a go at the 'Good Life' and try and grow some of the above for the buns.
I cant upkeep an allotment or afford a big greenhouse. I was going to get one of those 3tier little greenhouse things. Its just a bit of fun!!:lol:
1)What can i grow for them?
2) what do i need?

Anyone had any experience in growing for thier buns?:D

compost and seeds to grow stuff... pots to grow in and a watering can. or will you be buying ready established plants n not seeds... also a trowel and gloves if worried about dirty fingers... lol i dont bother with gloves and all my herbs are grown outside problem is they eat them all so quickly!!!! lol wilko has some great deals on cheap gardening...seeds start at around 35p and the cheapest compost is 75p!!!! its amazing!! lol

compost and seeds to grow stuff... pots to grow in and a watering can. or will you be buying ready established plants n not seeds... also a trowel and gloves if worried about dirty fingers... lol i dont bother with gloves and all my herbs are grown outside problem is they eat them all so quickly!!!! lol wilko has some great deals on cheap gardening...seeds start at around 35p and the cheapest compost is 75p!!!! its amazing!! lol

Oooh where is the most local Wilkinsons to me? is it in slough??
What ones are safe for the buns? I saw some cat grass advertised for buns too is this safe? and timothy grass??
I thought if i put them in the greenhouse thing they would have a chance to grow and establish before the buns go in for attack lol! :lol:

sounds a good plan on the green house thingy... i dont know about grasses i planted corriader parsley basil and they demolished it! i also planted strawberry plants carrots and blackberry bushes... suffice to say i didnt get to see the first crop as soon as the shoots come up they get nibbled down...but i do grow carrots and corriander and parsley in pots inside.... i dont harvest carrots as i always cutting the leaves off to give to buns as a treat.... but they seem to grow well.(if they didnt get in pots indoors they would never grow more than an inch.!

I have a 3 tier greenhouse, but most of what the buns like is good tough stuff and I actually only use the greenhouse for one maybe 2 months tops. I grow as much as poss for my lot. They are not fussed with my veggies, so I stick to herbs and beneficial hedgerow plants which are as tough as old boots. A good list of well known 'safe bets' are here: http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/herbs/index.php I grow Timothy too, but our climate is not brilliant for it, so it's not as good as it could be. Good enough for general grazing though and they still love it.:D

Last edited:
i dont grow grass but practically grow everything else all my buns love to nick often without permission :lol: it is best to start seedling under cover as slugs and snails looooooooooove seedlings, herbs grow very well in pots but herbs like mint is not easy to grow and is worth buying that i have lavender mint black peppermint and spearmint (penny royal is a form on mint which is a no no to buns ) parsley is better to buy as well but look for the polystrene containers not the ones already potted up as these work out better for you money i.e. i bought 12 for 2.89 where one potted up was 89p each, basil is quite easy from seed corriander is a bit of a pickle as it goes to seed quick so its best to start picking a few leaves off early to help it bush out, im growing beetroot and carrots which are easy to grow you can do them in deep pots but you are limited to how many you can grow, as with all root veg they like stone free soil or you will get deformed ones like mine see (im sueing my pratner for discrimination of ....) thread, all you really need is a few pot patch of land if you have it, and a small green house to get started, tool trowel and fork, and some ordinary multi purpose, ive got alsorts of fruit and veg in my garden raspberry and strawberries apples lavender all ok for buns in moderation

pound shop and wilkos are best and cheapest for pot etc to get you started even lidls and aldi

My sister and me brought my mum lots of herb plants my buns have been helping themselves too :oops:

I've just ordered some rabbit seed mix and Timothy grass seed from ebay to grow for them specifically. I'll just pop some soil in a tray. Sprinkle seeds over then cable tie some mesh over the top. I intend to grow them on top of the rabbit hutch, and I'll just empty the rabbit water bottles in them so I don't forget to water. Then I'll put them down in the run when they are tall enough and back up top when they've eaten them to regrow.

Tam

My sister and me brought my mum lots of herb plants my buns have been helping themselves too :oops:

I've just ordered some rabbit seed mix and Timothy grass seed from ebay to grow for them specifically. I'll just pop some soil in a tray. Sprinkle seeds over then cable tie some mesh over the top. I intend to grow them on top of the rabbit hutch, and I'll just empty the rabbit water bottles in them so I don't forget to water. Then I'll put them down in the run when they are tall enough and back up top when they've eaten them to regrow.

Tam

Hi Tamsin
I saw these on Ebay cat grass advertised for buns is this safe? and timothy grass?? I know we feed our buns timothy hay so would the grass be ok?

Rachel, there's also a Wilko in Farnborough and there is a very good pound shop a few doors down that has quite a bit of gardening stuff in at present. Yep for a pound too!

It's in the main indoor part of the precinct.

I have been growing a few herbs, but Luvabun (Jill) has just given me a wonderful present of a litter tray planted with assorted bunny grass and plants. She's so thoughtful and it has got me wanting to plant up loads of pots like she has in her garden. The buns then just jump from one to another filling their faces!

Jill's bunnies are so well behaved. Mine would empty to pots after they finished off the herbs :lol:

:wave: They are well behaved generally but it's when it's time to go in the hutch that they really show their naughty sides and refuse to go in. Must admit they've never dug up any of the planted stuff, they just eat the contents - perhaps the secret is multiple pots and boy, do I have a lot of pots :oops::lol:

I've got a bit of basil and parsley I just planted.. the basil is starting to pop up, I'm so excited! :oops: I didn't plant a large amount, just a 4 foot by 6 inch planter, but I'm sure they'll eat it faster than it can grow :lol:

Hoping to plant some grass as well as I don't have a lawn I can cut it from without wondering about chemicals :?

Grass would definately be a good one to try, as others have mentioned herbs are easy to take care of!

Also, their poo works amazing as fertilizer I have come to notice :lol: The plants I keep on my patio absolutely LOVE it and grow ridiculously when I add a couple pellets!

mine arent keen on basil..they only like the od dbit of parsley...but they like coriander..and bif adores mint! i have a seed packet of timothy hay grass..cant reme,ber which shop online tho..must look it up in morning!
now my cat proofings up i can use my garden but need some compost..wilkies have a massive bulk of it for about £3 and theres no peat in it;)
i need some major big pots cos the plants my dad did for me berore he died have all grown out of their containers and i need to get across to mums house and carry them back one by one:shock:

but the buns..i thought cheap flower pots but wonder if troughs would be better? the best thing is those cheap buckets like they sell in b and q for a quid...punch a few holes in the bottom and presto! trouble is i cant find any cheap pebbles to act as drainage anywhere local. and as for b and q well thats a way way off for me...so maybe a bus ride into w/ville with me mum when its cooler and ill go to the cheapy shop and get some buckets.

i bought herbs form asda online..and they were flippin organic! however bifs favourite mint came form wiatrose when i was with my mum the other day..its got two sprigs left for tomorrow..the frenchies dont mind it but bif goes nutsfor it. bandit will eat anything:lol:

i have a rosemary bush and a lavendar bush and several diff coloured buddleia my dad tok cuttings form and grew for me..he never grew anything before and these have deifed everything thrown at them. in my garden tho i have some flowers i did recall looking htem up as being non toxic but they spread like wildfire and atract loadsa butterflies. i want to grow honeysuckle up the catproofing but am scared theyd be able to climb the honeysuckle! the cats..not the buns...:lol:

i boomarked a site with organic seeds and i know you can get organic compost/miracle grow if organic is what your after.....best bet is to buy up the herbs already....easier quicker and less fiddly..then grow some seeds att he same time! jo siad bertie used o scoff all her herbs..once heed been with me a while she noticed herbs growing like mad! berties weakness mucnhie munchie!

good thing is alot of stuff is ok for buns and cats..phew! and of course my little grandaughter:lol:

theyre these plastic tubs fabric like and they say you can grow a crop of veggies on your patio or balcony..nicer version of a gro bag:lol:

ill find links ....

Back