• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unspayed female and 'nesting'

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
Peppa the new arrival has a habit of running around with hay in her mouth and putting it all in the tray. Even if I place some in the main part of the hutch it all goes into the tray. I'm pretty sure she isn't pregnant, unless its the Guinea Pigs. Will this cease when she is neutered? Because it is quite sweet to watch. She also loves tossing around toilet rolls, she is such a contrast compared to Charlie and Mocha, its refreshing!

010-5.jpg

Usually spaying fixes it. Nesting is actually quite stressful for a bun - all those hormones. It's no fun being a woman:lol:

I've been told they can have phantom pregnanies like dog can so perhaps this is whats happening:?

they do often have phantom pregnancys its a lot of stress for the bun she will likely pull out a lot of fur too so be prepared for that. when you say unles its the gps... they arent in together are they? its no longer considered good companionship for them as gps and buns can pass on health probs and have different dietry needs also cuz buns are bigger they can hurt ickle gps... im probly preaching to the converted im just passing on freindly advice in case you not aware! :)

No the pairing of a piggie and a bun was not my doing. :lol: No offence taken. They aren't together anymore.

I'll watch for the fur pulling. Will a phantom pregnancy matter to the neutering? Anything else to watch for during a phantom pregnancy?

No the pairing of a piggie and a bun was not my doing. :lol: No offence taken. They aren't together anymore.

I'll watch for the fur pulling. Will a phantom pregnancy matter to the neutering? Anything else to watch for during a phantom pregnancy?

I'd leave the nest built when she's done. They usually trash it themselves & I heard they can get stressed if you remove it before they've finished "phantoming"

she may get aggressive towards you and be protective of the nest even tho there is nothing there....my dora pre spey ripped out so much fur bless her that the vet hardly had to shave any from her belly it was horrid to watch.... she made me cry as it would leave horrid red marks too. also she used to get protective of my hasmter(think she thought it was a kit:roll:)

um what else pre spey no majjor probs unless she has milk in her teats(this can happen with phantoms too just get the vet to check. it will take a month or so for hormones to calm down post spey to

Back