• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD - Limp - UPDATE - short video (Jacks- Jane please help Twinks 22

Hello
Please can someone help me please?
Sorry very long Post.:oops:
I took Eric and Ernie for their VHD jabs yesterday morning and the Vet was brilliant.
He weighed them, checked teeth, heart, testes (not neuetered yet - obviously).

He gave them both Cylap and also checked Erics eye ( he may have to have his tear duct drained, whilst under having his Neuter)He is having eye drops put in 3 times a day.:cry:

Anyway, I took them both home and put them in their own run. I made sure they had plenty to eat and drink available.

When i got home, Ernie was fine. Wanting to go out for a short run about and eat.

But Eric (the more fiesty of the 2) was Lethargic all afternoon, ate a couple of Dandelion leaves and a few mouths of water. He has a willow tunnel and spent most of the afternoon laying under it with his head on the ground. He did, however manage to go for a wee and poo!

This is most unlike him, as most of the time, he wants to be out roaming the garden.If his brother is out in the garden, Eric will always run over to see him, from inside his own run. He did not today.

I know this is probably o.k and he was just feeling sorry for himself, but this morning when I let him out for a run, he showed signs of limping!:shock:

He can put weight on the foot (front left) sometimes, but he will also lift the foot when he's eating. But when he runs he doesn't appear to use it.

Is this Cyclap Limp? And if so, does it last for Long?
Do I need to monitor it for a few days?
Should I take him to the vet?

Sorry I don't know what to do. He looks so sad:cry:

Last edited:
Hiya

It does indeed sound like the 'Cylap limp'
Dont be surprised if your Vet says no such condition exists though as the Cylap manufacturers still refuse to list it as a possible side-effect despite conclusive evidence :roll:

The limp should subside within 24-48 hours. He may remain 'off colour' in his behaviour during this time.
You could ask your Vet for some Metacam ( a non steroidal anti-inflammatory ) but Vet will no doubt insist on seeing the Bun again ( more stress for Bun ) especially if Vet wont acknowledge CL......

Try not to worry and just let Bun rest. Keep him cool, its going to be very hot over the next few days, and hopefully he will be limp-free by the weekend

:)

Thank You Jane
You're a Godsend to a new bunny mummy.

I have been frantically searching on this site and have just found a few comments.
It does sound like it should subside in a couple of days thankfully. But if it doesn't, I'll get him checked out by the vet.
I'm glad i am on reduced hours at work at the moment, so i can keep an eye on him.
He is normally such a robust little Bun!! Even though he is only 16 weeks old!!

I will keep him cool and give him lots of cuddles.
Poor little bun. Having to have eye drops as well!

Incidently, I mentioned Cyclap Limp to the vet yesterday and he knew nothing about it.
Should I mention it again to him (I don't want to sound like I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs!)

Thanks again Jane

Thank You Jane
You're a Godsend to a new bunny mummy.

I have been frantically searching on this site and have just found a few comments.
It does sound like it should subside in a couple of days thankfully. But if it doesn't, I'll get him checked out by the vet.
I'm glad i am on reduced hours at work at the moment, so i can keep an eye on him.
He is normally such a robust little Bun!! Even though he is only 16 weeks old!!

I will keep him cool and give him lots of cuddles.
Poor little bun. Having to have eye drops as well!

Incidently, I mentioned Cyclap Limp to the vet yesterday and he knew nothing about it.
Should I mention it again to him (I don't want to sound like I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs!)

Thanks again Jane

You could say that you are a member of a Rabbit Forum and lots of people on there have had Buns who have developed a CL.
The Vet will then look at the Vaccine data info' sheet which does not mention it. So Vet will say CL does not exist :roll:
I spent hours collecting data to submit to the manufacturers last year. The Vet I was in touch with said the info would be looked at and they'd contact me at a later date. They never did, probably cos I am just a member of the public and not a Vet.
They did admit that a Cat Vaccine made by the same company did have a 'post vaccination limp' as a possible s/e but it seems that thus far they are not willing to acknowledge the CL problem

Hi Jane
I am going to the Vets Today with the boys record card (forgot to take it yesterday!)

I think I will mention it - may not do any good, but hopefully if he logs onto this site he will see how many rabbits have been affected and maybe look into it.

Hello
Just an update really.
Eric still has his Limp. He had his VHD jab on Monday 9.00am How long before I should be really concerned?
He is better in himself, so that's good, but just a little concerned about the limp.

Both boys are back to normal with regards to eating, but Eric is still not drinking very much. I have filled his water bottle regularly and tried a shallow bowl, but he is reluctant to drink. He is usually the one who drinks more! Should I get a pipette and try maually if it's still the same today? He has been eatin a lot of grass though.

Any help and advice would be appreciated

Hello
Just an update really.
Eric still has his Limp. He had his VHD jab on Monday 9.00am How long before I should be really concerned?
He is better in himself, so that's good, but just a little concerned about the limp.

Both boys are back to normal with regards to eating, but Eric is still not drinking very much. I have filled his water bottle regularly and tried a shallow bowl, but he is reluctant to drink. He is usually the one who drinks more! Should I get a pipette and try maually if it's still the same today? He has been eatin a lot of grass though.

Any help and advice would be appreciated

He will be getting some fluid from the grass and any Veg you may feed him.
Some folk find adding Avipro, a powder probiotic, to water encourages Buns to drink a lot more.

I would give the Vet a call and ask if Eric can have some Metacam ( a non steroidal anti-inflammatory ) for a couple of days. Hopefully that should help and you could also request the Vet makes a note of Eric's post vaccination limp for future reference

:)

Thank you Jane

I will see how we get on Today and Tomorrow and if it's still not right by Saturday will take him down to Vet.

I did mention the CL to my Vet yesterday, So if i do take Eric down to him, he can see for himself.

I am also going to try and download a video of Eric limping, but not sure if it will work.

Thanks again Jane

Hi
Just thought I would add video of Eric's Limp.
I'm afraid you have to watch it sideways as I don't know if I can rotate video.

He finally moves at around 40 seconds if you want to FF to the relevant part. And it is very short, but you can see him Limping!

I haven't had a chance to look at him today but will do about 3pm. It did look a bit better yesterday, but seems to be taking a while to disappear.
If it's not gone by Monday A trip to see the vet is in order!!!

He seems to take weight on it when he's sitting down doesn't he :?

I would think an anti-inflam and a bit of physio may help. I hope his imp will have resolved by Monday

Hi Jane

Thanks again for the prompt response.:)
He does lift it sometimes when he is sitting too!
Do you think it is connected with the JAB? Or is it something else?

I know it's difficult to say from such a short Video.

Hi
Cylap or Cyclap (not sure which) is a typre of VHD jab.

And the Limp is a side effect of the jab, although I know from "JAcks-JAne" that the vets don't seem to acknowledge it.

I will bump this up for Jane and she has a lot of links to do with the subject.

Alternatively you can search this site: VHD, Cyclap Limp or Cylap Limp (whichever it is)
I am a new bunny owner so still learning (most of which is from this forum)

Hope you get the answers you need.

Thankyou very much :D , i'm not very up on jabs , although i very well should be :oops:, VHD wiped out all my mums friends rabbits in under one month last year it was devastating :cry:. Thanks again :)

Back