• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Administering Ear Drops - help / advice needed!

Hi,

Barley (& Floss) were in the vets the other day for his usual jabs! They did the normal health check on them and the vets said Barley had some wax build up and irritation in his ears and gave me some drops for it.

The thing is she didn't show me how to administer these drops - and although I've read the instructions (of course), I'm finding it difficult as they don't seem specific to rabbits! The problem I'm having is that I can't really see into his ears :)lol:), so I'm kind of trying to put the bottle with it's little dropper into his ear but obviously because I can't see I don't want to push it down too far! But on the other side Barley keeps shaking his head after I do this and the stuff is mainly coming out and now after a couple of days he's got greasy fur under his ears and I'm really not sure how much of this stuff is getting where it should be!

I'd be grateful if anyone has any advice they could share with me.

Also the vet didn't ask to see him again for a check up so I won't know if it's cleared up or not :? (obviously I can take him back anyway), I can't see any redness / wax / inflamation!

Thanks

Hannah

Is it canaural?

When we administer them we just hold the ear erect (if not already) and put the dropper onto where the ear meets the head (if that makes sense) and quickly dispense. You don't have to push it in too far as the liquid will make its way down.

As he shakes his head some of the liquid will come out, hence the greasy fur so don't worry :)

After administering the drops massage the ear base for a couple of minutes. This will help disperse the Canaural into the ear canal and minimise the amount that is shaken out.

There is a little chanel in the outer ear where dried Canaural tends to accumulate. This can be annoying for the Bun so needs to be gently removed with a cotton bud. Do not insert the bud deep into the ear canal though.

:)

Thanks for the advice... seems I've doing it right, but I'll take on board what you say and look out for any accumulation of the stuff. Yes I think it's Canaural - although I've a useless memory for names and the bottle's at home and I'm at work now.

Yes... lifting ear is required :lol: his ears seem... just.. so well enclosed!

Hannah

I'm having to do this with Trooper and Lillie at the moment. They are hating it and thump madly if I go near them when it's medicine time :lol:
Fortunately Alison holds each bun in turn for me and I can concentrate on holding up the ear and dispensing the drops. I try to get the end of the bottle as near as possible to the base of the ear so I can see & count the drops.
Trooper is especially tricky - his ears are extra hairy. If I don't dampen & flatten the hairs out of the way first, the drops end up on the end of a hair & not in his ear. :lol:
I was told to go back after 5-7 days for a review.

Mike

hello :wave:

fudge is so relieved he is not the only bunster having to deal with drops :(
ive managed two doses so far but had the first lot shaken out as he took exception to it...wrapped him in a towl tonight and it was far easier...already got some greasey fur from attempting to do this but i know its for his health so will stick it out

also have xeno to do him with as the infection has run him down (despite being caught very very early) so will try that tomorrow as he is quite miffed at the moment and hiding under the sofa in a sulkie male kind of way!

:roll:

:wave:afternoon all

just wondering how the ear drops were going? fudge is definately deshevelled and felt very sorry for himself the last 24hours...but hopefully he will pick up.
his fur looks a bit greasie and yucky but that should hopefully resolve.

he is staying snuggled in his blankie at the moment in a big puddle of fluff but is eating well and certainly doesnt like the drops but needs must etc.

the joys of being a bunny parent heh!

I must be the time of year for it! Squidgy is having Canaural drops at the moment. Luckily he is uppy eared, so it's fairly easy to administer. We massage the bottom of his ear, as Jane said, and then make sure he has a tasty treat waiting to minimise the head shaking.
Squidge also has greasy fur just at the base of his ear. Very reassuring to know that others have it too.

must definately be the season for it.

Fudge is looking so forlorn at the moment and is really miffed with me-done this mornings lot of drops and got smothered in it as he shook his head really disgruntledly but it has to be done...being a lop it goes everywhere i wondered if it would be safe to pop some cottonwool in his ear until it had dribbled down his ear canal...or whether that would bug him more :roll:

i dont know how fudge is going to respond to me after two weeks of ear drops :(

how have you all been keeping your bunny spirits up?

hello
i took fudge back to the vet tonight-i rang matt on my way to work and explained he just wasnt himself. jim saw him tonight and has given him an anti-inflam injection to open up his ear canals as the infection had takne hold and was making him sore and tired.

i was meant to be going for a run tonight but going to have my tea shortly, shower and then snuggle with my bunster.

i will give him a good brush and perhaps some carrot chunks as a treat

Back