• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi Everyone!

racheljessica

Alpha Buck
Hi :wave:

I'm new to the forum. I have been reading the forum for the past few days as I have been looking on information about rabbit skin disorders. I have a 6 month old dwarf lop called bambi. She loves attention and being stroked but can't stand to be picked up and handled! She has recently had an abcess which has now been removed but the vet thinks the abcess has formed because of a skin condition. They think she has syphilis but they aren't sure because the strange markings she has are on her back rather than her genital region or her face. I have spent hours on the internet the past few days trying to work out what she has as I am not convinced it is syphilis. I can't seem to find anything that describes what she has so am feeling rather baffled :?

Hopefully I will be able to find out more from the forum. I will try to post a picture of her skin in a relevant section of the forum later.

Hope you can help :)

Hello, yes you will get great advise from experienced members on here.
It may be an idea Personal Messaging 'Jack's Jane' or 'Sooz' or even our administrator 'Tamsin'
Hope you find the solution! And vibes for Bambi!!
Xx

Thanks all :)

Went to the vet yesterday evening and they said that Bambi may not have syphilis or a skin disorder. Said she just may have a birth defect and some of her hair is growing in the wrong direction. The vet said she has been dealing with rabbits for 13 years and she has never seen anything like it before so is a bit flumoxed by it. To me it just looks like patches of hair they haven't shaved off properly when she was shaved for the abcess removal. The vet says it isn't though and it shouldn't look like that. Very odd!!

Hi :wave:

I'm new to the forum. I have been reading the forum for the past few days as I have been looking on information about rabbit skin disorders. I have a 6 month old dwarf lop called bambi. She loves attention and being stroked but can't stand to be picked up and handled! She has recently had an abcess which has now been removed but the vet thinks the abcess has formed because of a skin condition. They think she has syphilis but they aren't sure because the strange markings she has are on her back rather than her genital region or her face. I have spent hours on the internet the past few days trying to work out what she has as I am not convinced it is syphilis. I can't seem to find anything that describes what she has so am feeling rather baffled :?

Hopefully I will be able to find out more from the forum. I will try to post a picture of her skin in a relevant section of the forum later.

Hope you can help :)

Hello and welcome to Ru:wave:Did the vet take a swab from the abscess so that a culture could be done to see which bacteria was present?

Hi Maizey,

No the vet did'nt do a swab. I never knew that they could do a swab until after the abcess was removed (found out from reading the internet). When we first took her in for consultation after we found the abcess they just said she was probably bitten by an insect. I asked at the vets last night if there was a way to find out what caused the abcess and suggested doing a blood test but she said that it wouldn't help to find the cause. The abcess was near her shoulder though so don't think it can be because of dental problems so that's something I've ruled out. This is the first abcess she has had and I've not known anything about them until now. I just hope it doesn't re-occur :(

Has the vet prescibed any antibiotics for Bambi and would it be possible for you to take a picture and post it on here of her skin condition

Bambi is having penicilin injections every 2 days at the moment. It's been hard work trying to get her in her carry case to take her to the vets each time! She has an appointment again today at 3pm. I will try and post a picture of her strange skin/hair condition at the weekend.

:wave: Hello and welcome to RU. I do so hope you can get to the bottom of the mystery condition, perhaps get a second opinion ? Sending loads of vibes to Bambi :)

Back