• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Times article - rabbits and guinea pigs?

vick

Alpha Buck
I've just found an article in The Times from last week where Carol Smilie and Emma Magnus (who writes for Rabbiting On) give advice on choosing the right pet for the family.

There is a question from a parent: 'Our nine-year-old daughter is pestering us for a pet. We can't give the time to a dog - should we get her a rabbit?'

Whilst I think most of the advice given is absolutely spot on and they make good points e.g. a rabbit is a long-term commitment, I was confused by part of Emma's response when she said a rabbit 'should be kept in a pair or with a guinea-pig.'

I thought rabbits and guinea-pigs were generally a no-no combination? I'm sure I remember reading that the RWA does not recommend keeping them together....?

Also, it's a bit misleading to say that guinea pigs and rabbits are happy to be handled - that's not always the case, certainly not with mine! They enjoy a stroke but only if they have all four paws on the ground!

The article is also online with a video.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/specials/perfect_pets/article4315590.ece

Should be kept with a guinea pig??? Well I've heard people saying its "okay" and that's bad enough but flat out saying it SHOULD be done???
In that case wild rabbits must be terribly lonely since there are no guinea pigs in their natural habitats:roll: (Guinea pigs are from South America, domestic rabbits from Spain and surrounding areas... They're supposed to swim accross the ocean or something??)

I also find it confusing what she says about hamsters.. I've had hamsters in my bedroom and know several people who does the same. They haven't scattered any bedding around, and even if they do...is it better if they do it in the living room?

:no::no:

Naughty ladies, telling fibs about bunnies & piggies.

they are!!
Rabbits and Guineapigs shouldnt go in the same hutch!!
its just mean to put them in the same..:?!!
In a pet shop my friend saw they had a guineapig in with a rabbit the guineapig was being used by the rabbit like a ball...My friends got the Rabbit coz if whould have died...but a few weeks the guineapig did die my friends did all they could at lest the guineapig could have a good last few weeks:cry:!!
so they shouldnt put them in the same hutch both the rabbit and Guineapig wouldnt like it..:cry:

Back