• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please (Shes getting better)

sazzy

Warren Veteran
I've just had a call of my friend and her bunny isn't very well she said she is quiet and looks a bit uncomfatable the only thing i could think of was wind i told her to massage her tummy and get her running round the garden she doesn't have any infacol so it was the only thing i could think of she then rang back and said when she rubs her tummy you can hear water swishing around anyone have any idea whats wrong

Thanks

Last edited:
The most important thing at the moment for this bun needs is a vet. The vet needs to assess whether this rabbit is dehydrated and needs fluids, it also needs some maxalon to stimulate the gut and it may need a pain killer.

Please do encourage them to take them now rather than leave it until later in the night. Rabbits are prey animals and do not show if they are ill until things are pretty bad. If the rabbit looks unwell then they are very sick.

Hi sorry i should of said she can't get to a vets tonight as she has just moved don't no any local vets and she is a single mum with her youngest being only 2months old she has no one around her. She said she has seen her eat and drink it's just the noise in her tummy that is strange

:wave: Don't want to scare you or her but it sounds very like what happened with my neighbours rabbit. He was eating, drinking and peeing but doing slightly less poo's than normal and had a noise from his belly like water swishing about. Because he was still eating etc. they decided to wait till the next day to see the vet. It was gas in his belly and because they left it so long his intestines twisted on themselves and he had to be pts. This might not be whats wrong with this rabbit but I think it really needs to see a vet.

I have to go offline now. I really would urge your friend to at least telephone a Vet for advice. There will be numbers listed in the local phone directory.
I hope the Bunny will be OK

Is the rabbit filling up with fluids as what your describing sounds very much like my boy Hugo who I lost to Kidney problems.

He very suddenly looked uncomfortable and his joints around his front legs filled with fluid, which got steadily worst until his whole body was a water balloon and he just gave up.
It was a locum vet and I had argued with him that there was something very wrong but by the time they where listening it was too late.:(:(:(

Maybe the bun has wind, has she fed it anything different today?

Ive also read that pineapple juice can be good for poorly buns, dunno why tho, maybe someone else can shine a light on it :?

Nope not fed anything different she said she is acting the same as when she had a dental a couple of months back (quiet and uncomfatable) she was check by the vet last week b4 she moved and the vet said everything was fine it is very strange and does sound like wind to me but i'm no expert as none of mine have had wind

if it is stasis or gut problems if rabbit not right in 24hours it sadly could be too late i urge her to call an emergancy vet (look in phone book or online) then get the vet to do a house call or to phopne a cab company to take her and bun i unbderstand its hard but bun needs to see someone i think. i personally wouldnt risk leaving it.

If it was my bunny i would take it to the vet, i was just trying to find best alternatives if it cant go to the vet

She definetly can't get to the vets as she has 4 young kids she has brought her in the house to keep a eye on her she said she is now moving around more since she gave her tummy rubs

yes she will be going straight to the vets in the morning if not better even if i have to go over and take her she will be checking on her all night as she wil be up with baby anyway

Back