• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alternatives to ramps in double/triple hutches?

gemmam

Alpha Buck
Hi, I have just got a lovely new 5 foot triple hutch for my three guinea pigs but two of them are very unsure of the ramps in their current double hutch and won't really go up and down unless running away from me! The third piggie loves running up and down though! Was just wondering if there are any alternatives to ramps? Or whether I could build something like maybe a series of 'platforms' that they could step down onto rather than a ramp. Has anyone done anything similar or got any ideas please?

Are the ramps steep?
I don,t think there is any other alternatives for piggies has they cannot jump.When my piggies lived in a double hutch i put barriers on the stairs so they couldn,t fall down and i think it made them feel safer:D

as the hutch is big any chance you could make another ramp only longer so its not so steep or will it meet to far to the edge of the hutch downstairs

Suggestions

Add additional rungs on the ladders so it is easier to grip.
Add banisters to the side of the ladder.
Use a long tube instead of a ladder.
Cover the steps with some roofing felt or some thing which is grippy like sand paper to give them additional grip or varnish the ramp and sprinkle sand on it when wet.
Extend the ramp so that it is not so steep.
Lift the ramp up on to a box so that it is not so steep

Hmm yeah, could definitely try a longer ramp. Still not sure they'll make the move though! Maybe a short ramp to a platform then another ramp down to flooor so each ramp is very short?

I used a hutch with a ramp for my GP's but one of the three wouldn't use the ramp, we put a vinyl tunnel from P@H and it fitted to create a tunnel and they all liked this, we also had to lengthen the ramp with additional wood as it was quite steep. Going down the ramp was never a problem - just couldn't get the hang of going up it!

Back