• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My happy home is falling apart!

hayleyhelen

Alpha Buck
I have 4 month old doe rabbits, sisters who i have just this morning had to split up because of fighting. Both have been confirmed as does by the vets, yet one, Samba is humping quite determindly at the other, Bettle. Bettle then whips around and bites or chases samba away. i thought i was getting a bit too much so i have sepearted them but im not sure if ive done the right thing. Am I just being an over protective wimp? I have booked Samba in for a spay on friday as the vet suggested just doing the aggressor but perhaps it would be better to just do both. x

It would be best to do both that way you don't have any annoying hormones causing trouble. It's normal for does to mount each other too. It's rabbit speak for I'm the boss. It can get annoying for the other rabbit though, particularly if they think they should be boss to and that's when you get fights. Hopefully with them both done you'll be able to get them back together. This must be done somewhere neutral though don't just pop them back in their hutch together :)

Tam

hi girls will hump quite a bit for dominance (when my male/female pair were bonded it was duchess the female doing a lot of the humping!) i would get both girls speyed not only for behavioural issues but for health issues too as unspeyed does are very prone to cancer among other things which neutering can reduce or eliminate the risk of

I'm sure that its a dominance things but Samba has been humping the wrong end so Bettle's head ends up squashed on the floor which obviously she doesnt like at all. My boyfriend is currently building me a large hutch which i am going to save for bonding as it will be neutural. I have got the buck, from the same litter living in another hutch alone as he was castrated last week, so everything seems disorganised right now. Feel a bit panicked by it all, I took the last 3 from a litter of babies beloning to a friend of a friend as they already had 11 rabbits to cope with and all the other babies had found homes. Wishing now that I had choosen 2 already neutered and bonded from a rescue which was what i planned to do until I got convinvced that these needed a good, loving home.

Best of luck, I had two females together, but they were not sisters and they started to fight at 4 months, so I had them both neutered. But after trying to some time, i had to separted they permanently.

Hopfully, you will have better luck.

Poppet one of my females, is now bonded with a male rabbit and they are very happy.

May be worth considering bonding one of the females with your male rabbit if the female . female bonding doesn't work.

Of course it would be best if the male rabbit was spay first.

Best of Luck, Louise :)

Yes the buck was done last wednesday so hes not ready to be reintroduced just yet. I am really hoping that all three will live happily together, have now got both the girls booked in for spey friday. That will be my wages spent for the week!

Back