• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly back leg

nottslady

Young Bun
Hi again,
My little Rosie has been a pain to hold and so I decided to use a carrier method for transportation. I left the carrier inside her hutch just for last night to get her used to it which has seemed to work well. However, I have come to her this morning and she is holding her right leg up and hopping just on her left. She is eating, drinking and pooing/ weeing and hopping inside the carrier. I have got her booked into the vet for 4:50pm today (the only appointment they had!) Just wondered if there is anything I can do for her till then? The vet said try to stop her running around, but she isn't doing that as she is in her hutch, and with the carrier in there, there isn't that much room.

Thanks for any advice - I only said yesterday what a nightmare she will be if I ever have to give her meds due to her fear of being touched and handled, and now feel like a terrible bunny mummy for leaving the carrier in her hutch which has probably hurt her leg. :cry:

Awwwww these Bunnies do get themselves into mischief dont they !!

Hopefully she has only sprained her leg rather than fractured it. I would just keep her as quiet as possible until the Vet has examined her.

Good luck

:)

Sorry to hear about Rosie's leg.

My Inky is always getting into scrapes, last year he managed to break one of his toes and dislocate the one next to it. He also has ongoing joint problems in his front legs.

With him, I find that the best thing to do is to make sure that he has soft bedding and restrict opportunities to do things like jumping! Make sure that you are given painkillers for her, Inky has Metacam, which apparently tastes of honey (smells lovely) and I have no problems getting him to take it!

Good luck.

I use Thompsons vets in Sutton. They were recommended by a lady who had her doe spayed, and apparently they do 2-3 per week and haven't lost one yet.

I took Rosie to the vet, and they picked her up, stretched her legs out, felt her hip joints, and watched her limp across the floor. After all that the vet said that because Rosie is so scared with being picked up she was not reacting when in pain. Therefore the vet can't be sure what the problem is. She said I have to go back again today and if she is still not showing the pain, she will need anaesthetic and an x ray! Joy of joy! The vet gave her a painkiller via injection.

I think Rosie'e leg looks a little better today but can't be sure. I just hope she gets in the carrier ok today so I don't stress her too much before we get there! If people don't mind I will keep you updated, its really reassuring to know you are out there and helping us along the way! xxx

I use Thompsons vets in Sutton. They were recommended by a lady who had her doe spayed, and apparently they do 2-3 per week and haven't lost one yet.

I took Rosie to the vet, and they picked her up, stretched her legs out, felt her hip joints, and watched her limp across the floor. After all that the vet said that because Rosie is so scared with being picked up she was not reacting when in pain. Therefore the vet can't be sure what the problem is. She said I have to go back again today and if she is still not showing the pain, she will need anaesthetic and an x ray! Joy of joy! The vet gave her a painkiller via injection.

I think Rosie'e leg looks a little better today but can't be sure. I just hope she gets in the carrier ok today so I don't stress her too much before we get there! If people don't mind I will keep you updated, its really reassuring to know you are out there and helping us along the way! xxx

I hope that Rosie Rabbit gets on OK at the Vets and that she does not get too stressed.

:)

Thank you for all the lovely comments! Took Rosie to the vets again today, and the limp seems to be a little better. The vet had another feel of her leg but cannot feel a break or misplaced bones so feels it is a sprain rather than a break. I have another appointment for Friday, when she says if it is a sprain, it should be a lot better by the weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed as Rosie isn't liking all these trips to the vets! xxx

Back