• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi Injections

wendle

Warren Veteran
My 2 bunnies are going for theirs tomorrow, do these injections make em poorly or are they ok afterwards please :)

They should be fine as the vaccine is not 'live'. A 'live' vaccine is when the vaccine contains a small amount of the disease (like our flu jab does - thats why it makes you feel a bit rubbish for a few days afterwards), myxi vacc is not live and therefore should cause no probs. As mentioned above, they can be a little quiet for a day or so afterwards cos the vaccine puts strain on the immune system as it has to launch a response to the vaccine. A bunny that is 'under the weather' or ill should not be vaccinated until it is well again.

My bunnies didn't feel the needle go in I think, but they squirmed to try to get away when they checked their bits :lol:

I thought my bunnies might sqeal or jump when they had the Myxi jab, but they were cool as a cucumber at that bit

:lol: thats guna be my o/h they guna get sulks on with ill be there to love em better n tell em thats a naughty daddy :lol:

My bunnies didn't feel the needle go in I think, but they squirmed to try to get away when they checked their bits :lol:

I thought my bunnies might sqeal or jump when they had the Myxi jab, but they were cool as a cucumber at that bit

I was surprised that Alfie didn't seem to feel the needle either when he had his myxi; it was a locum vet that day and she seemed to take ages doing it too. Alfie was a bit off colour for a few hours afterwards but I'm not sure how much of that was down to the jab and how much was down to the stress of going to the vets.

Mine have recently had their jabs and they were all fine - no problems at all, they don't even flinch when the needle goes in so i'm sure it doesn't hurt them.

Yeah same here - and my bunny doesn't like to be touched but was fantastic when the needle went in. Like previously mentioned, my little boy didn't like having his bits grabbed, and then got told only 1 and 1/2 of his bits had dropped! 3/4 of the way to becoming a man! good luck with the jabs! xxx

Back