• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smudge is ill.

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
Smudge is ill! :( He is not eating and sitting very hunched up. I took him to the vet and she said his stomach is very active and he's quite lively. She gave him a shot of Zantac and Rimadyl ? and gave me a tube of fibreplex. He was as good as gold for the exam, temperature, teeth check and nail clipping but hated the fibreplex and there was 2 of us - today there is just me. :shock:

I hope he eats tonight. Poor thing. It cost me £43 and I can't afford to do that much more. He seems livelier tonight. But his poos still aren't right. He has drunk and eaten a little since I was at work. so that's a good sign.

What could have caused this? Nothing has changed!

Oh dear it sounds like GI statis. Arthur had it a while ago. I am not an expert though so I hope someone else is along soon. Sounds expensive though Arthur's vet charged £23.

:wave: hope your little one feels better soon.
have you got pet insurance?. i have found this a god send, although you wouldnt be covered for any illnesses they have already had.
x

I just got Fibreplex for one of mine and it was £8.80 :shock:

Make sure Smudge has plenty of water. Try it in a bowl with a dash of boiling so it is not cold on his tummy - they seem to like it better when it is tepid. Keep him warm and also moving around to try to keep things moving.

Hope he is feeling better soon.

Thanks for the replies. The vet said it isn't GI Stasis - cos his tummy was if anything overactive - lots of sounds. She said it could go one of 2 ways. He does seem a LITTLE better tonight and has eaten a little since this morning. Poos beginning to look normal again. I was sooo upset nd worried - he is such a precious little bun.

Poor Smudge, I hope he feels better soon.

There isn't much more advice I can add, only that you could try giving him a little bit of hand picked grass or carrot tops, mine love those when they're poorly.

I can sympathise, both of mine have had tummy troubles and Smokey is very prone to it. Last week, Smokey's vets bill was £34, which is a little cheaper then yours. I always keep a few sachets of Recovery Formula in the cupboard, you can buy it online from places like The Hay Experts or Noah's Cupboard, it's useful when you have a bunny reluctant to eat.

Lots of vibes

FC xx

Back